For moms with older kids with autism --meltdowns

I have a 17 year old who has serious meltdowns. If you're the mom of a child with autism you know what I mean. I already know I need to discuss his medication with his doctor, but how do you handle them? Do you have a safe room the child can go into? What works?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 4:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My son is 12 and we've been most fortunate lately in the meltdown department, thank God. When my son does have one, we use visual and verbal cues to get his attention and help him calm down. We tell him "eyes" and green voice" which mean he needs to look us in the eye and use an "inside voice" . Then we ask him "what's going on?" He usually can tell us,but when he's too upset, I just talk him down by whispering in his ear and tell him that he will be okay, and whatever is the problem will pass quickly. Good luck!! ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• oh man ! My son is only 9....but my son is so agressive and self-abusive....a safe room used to do it for him, but now he'd just put his feet through the drywall, so no, I have to restrain him until he calms down....physically I know that when he is much older, which will mean I will be much older, I will not be able to manage him....sadly I've come to the realization that he will have to go to a permanent residence outside the home....I love him a great deal and that breaks my heart.....we've done 3 years of ABA, we've played with medications, we've done and become involved with everything available...so basically we're just doing what we can that is best at the time with whatever we have...he never gets hurt and always hugs us afterward...when his screaming turns to sobs we know it's safe to let go....while i make this sound horrible...and it is...it only happens a couple times a month now, but it used to be 10 times a day.
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My son is only 6 so I don't have much advice for you but I know where you are coming from. :0( Have you considered seeing an ABA? I am really starting to consider that this year. It's supposed to be very helpful.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i'm not sure, but here's a bump
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:23 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I don't know, but I offer you a hug, I know that has to be really hard to deal with.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:07 PM on Sep. 13, 2010