My son won't sleep anymore!!

My son is 5 months old. When he turned about 2 months old he started sleeping through the night, going to sleep between 8 and 9, normally waking up around 4am and then going back to sleep and that was it for the whole night. Now no matter what we try we can't get him to sleep until 11, 12 sometimes even 1 or 2 in the morning. This isn't good for parents who have to be up at 530am to get ready for work. Any sugeestions?!

ctsassy

Asked by ctsassy at 10:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe try starting his bedtime routine earlier. my son is almost 10 months and he goes to bed super early like 5 in the afternoon, but he doesnt take naps at daycare so he is worn out. does ur son take naps? he may be too tired to sleep. i'd try taking him for a walk or giving him a bath and then a bottle, and rock him. it may do the trick, thats what i do with my son.
    TristansMom1222

Answer by TristansMom1222 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Are you feeding him cereal yet? My baby is the same age and we started her on cereal a few weeks ago. She's been sleeping wonderfully at night ever since. Also, try letting him fuss a little before responding. Sometimes babies just cry a little in their sleep and they'll end up going right back to sleep after some time (5-15 min). Mine wakes sometimes and will either play or fuss a little. We don't go in the room and she always ends up just falling back to sleep.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 3:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Definitely try a soothing routine before bed. Also, there is a new product on the market called the Magic Sleepsuit that helps babies sleep better and longer. Check it out.
    Anonymous

• i always do bath, bottle, bed. i gave her cereal when she started not sleeping through the night out of no where and that worked. i always give her her bottle (cuddle her) before bed and dim the lights, no noise, and give her her blanky and paci right after. i rock her and she's out. hope it works out for you!
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 3:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• He does take a nap during the day while at the babysitters. I talked to her today to make sure he isn't sleeping ALL day and he's not. When we just leave him and let him cry a little he cries to the point where he seems like he can't breath so I can't help but pick him up! As for the cereal, yes he is on cereal, but unlike most babies, it doesn't make him sleep longer. Rocking him puts him to sleep, but as soon as we put him down, he wakes up.

ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 9:02 AM on Oct. 17, 2008