Potty Training Twins

I have twin boys who are 25 months and I'm thinking of starting to at least introduce potty training to them. Twins are a special breed and boys are too, or so I've heard. Does anyone have advice on how to do it with 2 at the same time?

lilblufyrfly

Asked by lilblufyrfly at 4:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a potty chair and have it available. Explain what it is. They will not necessarily be ready at the same time. But will learn from each other. Treat them as individuals on this. My twin nephews were about one month apart when they "got it". Read up on different techniques and what the readiness signs are. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I did it with two when my daughter was almost 2 and my son had just turned 3. It was actually easier just going through it once than getting one done and having to start over again with the younger one. I just got them going to the bathroom and "trying" at the same times. One would go, and then the next. I used m&m's as "rewards" for them. My oldest was harder to train and we ended up using honeybuns for him as a reward.

Answer by missanc at 4:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't have twins, but my kids potty trained at the same time. At one point I was working with three of them. I actually think doing two at the same time is much easier than one at a time! :D Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• For my twin girls we got everything they needed at about 18 months when they started telling me they peed in their diapers. If they wanted to sit and try it they could but I never pushed them. They had some successes by 2. By 2 and a half they were using the potty pretty well. At 2yrs and 9 months when I knew they COULD go potty all the time I picked a week, put them in panties and took them potty every hour. Within a week and a half they were totally trained. Of course for a while there are still accidents when they are too busy to stop playing and just wait too long.
    Come up with a reward system that they will enjoy but that will be EASY for you. I've heard of sticker charts and such when they earn enough stickers they get a special prize but we just used regular sized marshmallow's. 1 for pp in the potty, 2 for pp and dry pullups, and 5 for poo in the potty. Worked wonders for us.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2010