how long would you wait until you bring up marriage to your S/O

RACERBABE02

Asked by RACERBABE02 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• until i feel like he needs to make a commitment or i'm wasteing my time.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i agree with pp
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 4:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• SO and I have been together for 3 years and we have a 2 year old son. We have discussed marriage before, but agree we are happy as we are for now! I have met couples who married after dating for 2 weeks and have been happily married for many decades. I've met couples who married after years of dating and they divorced within the first year.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It depends on A LOT of things. My DH and I were no less committed not being married than we are being married, so marriage wasn't something we even saw as a big need... We got married because legally it was the best option, but beyond that neither of us saw a need. Had things gone differently we may never have gotten married... I guess I see it as if you aren't just as committed not being married then there is no reason for marriage, on the other hand, if you are, then why do you need to be married? It's kind of a "to each their own" kind of thing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree with Sabrina :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 5:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I never had to bring it up. My husband proposed to me, and I really like it that way.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• How long have you been going out? Actually that doesn't matter to me, I wouldn't bring it up, if you feel it's time and he doesn't, why keep wasting your time if marriage is what you want.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• If you have been together a significant amount of time... and it is on your mind and bothering you should bring it up.

It should not be a confrontational conversation, but a "do you ever think about getting married?"
    You have the right to know what he is thinking about for your future.
    Good luck.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 5:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• He proposed one year to the date that we started seeing each other. I never mentioned marriage.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• his or mine?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2010