Has anyone tried "Sugar in the raw"?

I switched to this because supposibly it is healthier but anything with sugar is not healthy but this might help for now. You can get this at any store at walmart for sure. It comes from "Hawaii" and it is abit pricey but I like it the white sugar (refined) is not good at all for the body after some time. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Be Sweet!...lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Food & Drink

• The closer you can get to sugar cane, the better off you are. The best choice is evaporated cane juice, but that is hard to come by. Turbinado is good, has more flavor, and is the closest thing to raw sugar that you can buy in the US....it is essentially washed raw sugar. Turbinado and Demerara sugars are both dried in a centrifuge, so there is only a smaller amount of molasses left on them: Demerara tastes more of molasses, while Turbinado comes out with a slight honey note. Muscavado sugar is dried without the use of the centrifuge, so there is more natural molasses than with the other two. It has a stronger molasses flavor, too strong for coffee to most people, but is great for gingerbread! cont...
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Haha, everyone eats this in Australia, so obviously I am used to it and I love it. Except we call it raw sugar. It is the closest to it's original form, and it's got the best flavour!
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 10:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Turbinado sugar is awesome. It is not refined, so it is actually a little sweeter than the refine white sugar. Just keep that in mind when using it for tea and coffee and things like that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I like it, but it doesn't dissolve as well. but I can't even remember the last time I used sugar in anything, I just know that's the brand I get.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• White sugar is made by heating raw sugar with water until it becomes a syrup, then removing the plant solids (molasses), then boiling and evaporating, and spun in a centrifuge. This is assuming we're talking cane sugar. Beet sugar is a whole different thing, involving bleach, and is nasty IMO. Light and Dark Brown sugar is made by adding molasses back to the processed white sugar, usually 3% for light, and 6% for dark. This is done for consistency, so there is a uniform amount of molasses content throughout the entire batch, and therefore you get consistent results when using it.
    Sorry, lol, this is probably way more info than you wanted!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• So is this anything like the Organic sugar they sell at Wal-mart? What is the difference?
    LisaMommy

Answer by LisaMommy at 4:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I used to work in a coffee shop and we used only organic and free-trade items and used this sugar for our customers. I don't buy it though for personal reasons.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 4:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• LisaMommy: If you mean C&H Organic sugar (what they have at the Wal-mart by me), it is similar to Sugar in the Raw, and comes from sugar cane that hasn't been treated with pesticides, always a good thing in my book :)
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:32 AM on Oct. 17, 2008