taking st johns wort when nursing my 5 month old?

i am depressed, and i am taking an extra 1000 mgof vitamin d and some fish oil. I just started taking st john wort today.....have you had it? are there bad side effects for my 5 month old son? i just reaaly need to help me and st johns wort was perscribed...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• it was prescribed by a doctor? Does the doctor know you are breastfeeding?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• St. John's Wort is a weak SSRI. It also stimulates liver enzymes and may enhance the metabolism of other drugs. German varieties are found to be the most pure in independent testing; other brands may have contaminates and not be very pure. Documented drug-drug interactions have been found; the action of St. John's Wort on the liver can accentuate the metabolism of many drugs. For example, St. John's Wort may reduce the efficacy of birth control pill regimens, although this has not been documented. LINK

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would up your fish oil first. I have found that taking 3x the dose it says on the bottle has worked better for me than the antidepressents I have taken over the years. Also read up on the sugar & depression connection "Potatoes Not Prozac": Solutions for Sugar Sensitivity by Kathleen DesMaisons
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010