Do your kids

use their Manners?
Do they Say Sir, Mam, Please, Thank You, Excuse Me?

I have noticed that so many children are not being taught to use their manners. It's sad really. My Children know their manners and they know to use them as well.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 5:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes. From before they could even talk they signed please and thank you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I dont' get "ma'am-ed"- but that's ok- I dont like being called ma'am. But they are pretty good about please/thank you. I have noticed what you said, about the lack of manners- and I couldnt agree w/ you more. This world would be a lot nicer if everyone were just a bit nicer and showed respect/courtesy toward others.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes! Always! Except for Sir and Maam. We live up north and you don't hear people saying that, here.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 5:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes my kids use their manners and if they forget I prompt them. Their school reinforces manners too which is VERY nice. Hooray for charter schools!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My boys did and my grandchildren are getting really good at it........5&7 years old.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes. They always did. ANd still do.
    Thye said please and thank you. Not the sir and maam ,tho,since we lived in other parts of the country. That's the southern way.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My boys do. But they dont sir and maam in the family unless it is "Yes Sir/Maam" when being asked to do something. Other than that they use it always with other adults. My big peev is the disrespect for elders you see today.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 5:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes. Something we have stressed and taught by example from the beginning. My son's preschool teacher speaks highly on how well manner he is in class.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I've noticed that in certain regions of the country manners are stressed more than others and that what is considered polite or rude can be different too. Here in southern New England it's actually kind of rude to call a woman Ma'am, unless she is pretty old because it's a sign of respect when speaking to someone that is old! Lol! I know that I get offended when a stranger calls me ma'am, I feel like they might as well be saying, "Hey, old lady!" Where I know that in the south where my mom lives, not using Ma'am when speaking to any female adult (age 18 or over) is considered rude.
    Anyway.. my point is that even here in the US there are different cultural norms depending on what region you live.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 5:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes, we emphasize manners and respect for others. I don't expect the "sir" and "ma'am" I would rather be called momma than ma'am any day.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2010