If you take.....

If you take your Children places (a baby shower, wedding shower, etc.), Do you make them sit by you and act like an adult or do you let them act like Children?

In other words.....do you let them run and play with other children or do you make them sit still like the grown ups?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 5:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• It all depends on the shower or wedding. I have always been able to take my kids to showers, unless stated. At weddings they can play and have fun. I know once music it on. My kids will be dancing all night long. If they get to wild then they have a time out.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• If there are other children to play with and they play nicely and quietly, then they can play. If they are too loud or rambunctious, they have to sit with me.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• agree with PP
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't take my kids to showers. If I can't go without the little ones I send a regrets gift. I've never been to a shower that was designed with kids in mind.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I was just curious. My Mom and I were talking yesterday about how different things are now than when she was young.
    My Baby Shower was yesterday and it was made known to everyone that Children were invited. Afterall, the shower was about my new baby....and Children are blessings. We had a good time. There were some older people who thought the kids should have been left at home but all of us young Moms enjoyed socializing and having our Children with us. Of course, we all see our Children the same way and parent the same way so it was really nice. I know everyone does things differently and I was just curious as to how people would answer.
    My Mom said that when she was young that it wasn't polite to take your Children to social events and if you did, then you made them sit still. However, she agreed that now things are not like that. Our kids ran around and played yesterday and had fun. She said that htings had changed...
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• but that she thought it was nice that Mothers could do things together with their children...as long as the children were not disruptive of the Shower/Event.
    hsmominky

• I agree with the first poster
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 5:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Generally I would not take a child to an event like that, unless children were specifically invited. And if they were invited, I believe exactly as the first poster does.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• If there is a specified area for children to play or if there are other children playing and someone hosting the event says, "It is okay if the children want to go over there and play" then yes I do. But if there is no specified area, then no.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 6:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2010