my baby only wants to sleep on his belly.....

if i lay him on his back he freaks out and cries but he will sleep forever on his belly. i know what theu say about sids and babies on their backs so am i wrong for letting him??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD slept on her tummy pretty much from day one. I don't think you're a bad Mom at all, though lots of people will probably disagree. My DD is 13mo now, and still goes to sleep on her tummy, though after that she rolls around in her sleep.
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 10:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Both of my children have slept on their tummies.
    My youngest...(turns one on the 28th) will only go down on his tummy. He rolls around alot more during his sleep now...but when I lay him down it has to be on his tumy.
    Your a wonderful mother....you pay attention to what makes your child comfortable :)
    To the first poster....your right..alot people are gonna disagree.....I gave up on caring about that........they don't take care of my children.....or know what's best for them :))
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 10:58 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Absolutly not. As long as he wasnt preemie and hes got strong neck muscles I wouldnt worry too much. My DD would ONLY sleep on her belly. I thought the same thing but eventually I gave in b/c I was exhusted from not sleeping and I knew she was safe. She could lift her head from side to side. I made sure she was on a Firm mattress no loose blanket or sheets and no toys or anything that could get in the way of her breathing. She would stay up ALL night on her back, as soon as I flipped her over she would sleep 10-14 hours straight. Crazy.... She is now 10 Months and still sleeps on her belly, like the mommy above said ....she moves around so much in her sleep anyway now she'll sleep however she wants. I think he will be just fine. Some babies are just belly babies. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Oh yeah...btw...my oldest is 16 now...and he never had a problem :)
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 11:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i let mine fall asleep on her stomach, and then i would turn her.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I think its fine. Some docs say yes and some say no. Back in the day they use to tell parents to put them on their stomach. I think it depends on the child and parernt. My son is 6 months and will only sleep on his stomach but ends up on his side.
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 11:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my son slept on his belly from the time he was born too. i tried to put him on his back and on his side but he would just cry, so finally i tried his belly and since then thats the only way he will sleep. hes almost 10 months now and i still put him to bed on his belly but he rolls around so much when hes asleep.
    TristansMom1222

Answer by TristansMom1222 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My kids have always slep on their bellies and there were never any problems
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my daughter sleeps on her belly most of the time....she sleeps so much better that way
    JessicaF1120

Answer by JessicaF1120 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• According to First Candle/SIDS Alliance and the American Academy of Pediatrics, babies are supposed to sleep on their backs. Not to be too technical, but the reason why some sleep better on their stomachs is because it provides the baby with a better degree of pressure on certain points of their shoulders and hips than comfort them. Also, helps prevent the twitches that wake babies prematurely. A new product on the market designed by a mom and pediatric physical therapist helps calm the baby and provides a muffle for those twitches, its called the Magic Sleepsuit. Its designed for babies to helps them sleep better and longer on their back. check it out at www.magicsleepsuit.com
    magicsleepsuit

Answer by magicsleepsuit at 3:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2008