If you caught a some kids stealing your kids bike, go the bike back ...do you press charges?

My son saw a kid (about 16,16) walk up our driveway and steal my daughters bike. I found one of the boys with the help of a neighbor I barely know and her son..he chased the kid down but his friend already took the bike.

He played dumb and tried to run, the cops got him......and eventually he told where the bike was. I have the bike back and it was my option to file the complaint or let it go....

What would YOU do?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• file the police report so it's on record. hopefully you wont have any more issues with this kid, but if he decides to get pay-backs, you have a paper trail that leads right to him!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• press charges! that kid will never learn if he gets away with it. your doing nothing for him by letting it go!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would file charges. If he gets away with it he's likely to do it again.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes I would or the kid will never learn and probably become a theif
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• File the report and let the prosecutor decide to send it to court or to a teen program. He knew better, he chose to do what is wrong. Don't let him off the hook. If it's his first offense, he will likely be sent to a diversion program - which will be removed from his record if he has no other offenses before he turns 18. And under most diversion programs, if he does screw up again before he is 18, they then go back and charge for this also.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yes, either press charges to go with the police when they speak with the kids parents. If you let him off, he will do it again.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I would file a complaint.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would file.
    renijazzysmom

Answer by renijazzysmom at 12:49 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I'd press charges!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Tough one. I would probably file a complaint, maybe talk to the kids' parents first. If it seems like the parent isn't willing to do something about it, then I would press charges.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010