Children loosing teeth.

I have a 4 yr old that lost his fist tooth. He is almost 5 though. I'm concerned for two reasons. I've read on the internet that it's normal for a 4 yr old to lose their bottom front teeth. But my son lost a top front tooth. I've also read it was normal b/c they get them early. My son was late getting his teeth. He was a year old before he got his first tooth. Should I be concerned?

ReginaStar

Asked by ReginaStar at 5:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i dont think you should be concerned. generally teeth fall out when the adult tooth is pushing the baby tooth out. so it sounds like its jsut the normal cycle a little earlier than usual.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 5:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• When you loose teeth has nothing to do with whent hey get them-a common myth. It totaly is different with each kid. top or bottom, either is fine :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You might want to check with a ped dentist. I'm really not sure if its normal or not, but ped dentists are so the way to go. We like our family dentist but our ped dentist is soo much more knowledgable on the latest treatments and floride research.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would not unless there is something wrong with the new tooth coming in. Not all kids loss teeth they way they say they have to. Everyone made a big deal that my 6yr old had not lost one yet. I was not because I know that not all kids loss them the same time or when they say about when they should. Well she finally lost her first tooth when she was over 6 1/2 and has three gone already.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I bet he jumps a lot...our ortho put my kids on a walking routine 3 months before he would start moving teeth...he thinks kids need to jump, run and just walk a lot to get teeth to move and come in~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You can always ask your dr.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My 6 yr old still has all her baby teeth and they aren't even loose but I know that some don't start till as late as 7 so I'm not concerned with her. The only thing that bugs me is that her teeth are very very small. Alot smaller than most kids. My son though what happend is he was on my bed with me and he fell agist my shoulder and he said my tooth. So I felt it and it was very very loose. I told him to pull it out and he did. The other front tooth is loose tooth. He'll be going to the denist soon already for his 6 month cleaining so I'll be able to talk to him then. Now last time we went to the denist he said that the bottom one would be coming soon based on the x ray he only addressed it though b/c it had a cap on it but the cap came off so he was saying he wouldn't put a new one b/c it was going to come out soon.
    ReginaStar

Comment by ReginaStar (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Even as siblings, they will all have different patterns. The possible truma is bad and he needs to see a dentist, I had a patient once who had no issues and a different one who fractured a 2nd tooth. As for the 6 year old, you should only not be worried if the dentist told you not to be, 6/7 to not have any missing teeth is not normal. You should get them in as soon as you can- not the normal recall but because of his possible truama.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:18 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• when in doubt, call the dentist.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i would say no... but have you taken your child to a dentist? maybe you could call them and check it out... they should be able to give you some advice...
    our dentist said that just because both my girls got their first tooth after 16 months old... doesnt mean that they will be any slower to loose them than other kids.
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:32 PM on Sep. 13, 2010