Soap in the mouth (as punishment for a bad lie, etc) what's your opinion?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• We use 'Sassy Spray'. It's just apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 6:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Never soap is poisonous
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Soap is actually poisonous. Especially the anti-bacterial soaps. Not a good option IMO.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Nope I would not do it. I do not thing poisoning your child is okay. Soap makes kids barf and gives them diarrhea, Nope not doing it. My kids don't cuss without having to use soap.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• First off, I would never punish a child simply for "cussing" I don't think that's okay to do.

Secondly, I think there are better ways to teach a child not to lie! And if they are lying the parent needs to get to the root of WHY and why they think it's okay to do so...

Thirdly, as was covered, Soap is full of poisonous chemicals, none of which should be in a child's mouth. Nothing that your child says is worth poisoning them over!

Fourth, in many states using Soap or Pepper is considered child abuse and the child can be removed from the home. In fact there was a case on the news here not to long ago where just that happened...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Never.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I've never seen any sort of need to put anything in my children's mouths. They're not little beasties that I can't reason with. If they say something that may be inappropriate, I just tell them that it's a word they shouldn't say around other people, and that's the end of it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• In some states putting anything in your childs mouth as a punishiment is child abuse. And no I hated when my parents did it to me. I won't do it to my kids.
    everydaymom1220

Answer by everydaymom1220 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• SabrinaMBowen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I do know of a child who died after hot sauce was used on him as a form of punishment for talking back. The bottom line: I don't torture my child to get even with him. He is three and has picked up on some choice words. Not profanity, but I'm sure he has heard that too. One, I role model my words. That goes a LONG way. More powerful than what friends will say and do. Because it is about the future and how he acts as an adult. "Trying it out" is part of growing up. My three year old has repeated, "Dummy idiot" and things like that. The first time I explained those words are the same as stupid so I don't like to use them and I don't really want him to use them because they can be very hurtful. Then came the list of kids who do use them. I explained I am his mom and every house and mom/dad has different rules. That's okay but I'm his mom so he has to go with what I'm comfortable with. Then
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2010