Can someone who is bipolar get a job in the health field?

Someone told me that even if you're being treated and functioning normally, you can't if you're bipolar or have any other physical or mental "illness."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not true. Mental illness affects the medical community at the same rate at which it affects any other population. Mental illness cannot keep you from employment.
    However, if you are bi-polar and decide to take time off your meds you not only put yourself in danger of losing your job, but you put others and patients in danger, and you can be criminally prosecuted or sued for negligence, and your license will be revoked.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't see why not. Your 'mental' health is your business, so why would you tell a potential employer. Being bipolar doesn't make you abnormal unless you let it.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 6:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I went to school with a girl that was bipolar and depressed... she works as a Medical assistant, I have anxiety and I do too... as long as it doesn't affect you on the job you can
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My ex husband is bi-polar and in school for medical assisting. He has a job lined up already so I don't think that is 100% true.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I'm bipolar and in nursing school. Not true as long as it dosen't affect your ability to do the job.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 7:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My friend is a junior high counselor and bi-polar - it's a medical condition, and you cannot be discriminated against because of it, as long as it does not impair your ability to do your job.

It need not be disclosed as it's irrelevant.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 12:20 AM on Sep. 13, 2010