What should I do if my husband has a temper problem and won't get help?

My husband is 53 years old. I can't believe how immature he is. We've been married 18 years and have two teenagers. The older my kids get, the better a role model I want him to be and unfortunately, he's not. He flies off the handle so easily. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells most of the time. He always wants to go out anywhere and everywhere (not to bars) and gets angry if I don't want to go. He doesn't help around the house or spend any time alone with our children. I'm so tired of picking up after him, having the kids and I do all of the chores, and listening to him when he rants and raves. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Relationships

• i'd stop cleaning up for a while. stop being a maid. and go do something you want to do.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree with the person above...stop being a maid...and do something nice for yourself
    PiscesMommy021

Answer by PiscesMommy021 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• wow this sounds exactly to a T like my husband and not only that,he swears every sentence has to start out with the f word. Its so frustrating cause now my kids all act like that and swear up a storm,I've been trying to keep them active in church and trying to teach them basic gospel standards,but the harder I try the worse they become. I just have to remember to get on my knees and pray for my husband and kids. I wish I knew what to say that would work right now,it will all take time get on your knees and pray.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I am a mother of four and my husband never was any role model. Stop worrying about your husband being a role model for your children, when they already have the best role model."you". Do the best you can for your children and they will love, respect and remember you for all that you have done for them. As for your husband, be good for him . I know some people think women were made to do all the house work, but what I say to you is, do what you can. Stop stressing, take one day at a time, try smiling when things are not so good your happiness matters. When your husband is ranting and raving say nothing it takes two to argue. Stop walking on eggshells you're setting yourself up to be afraid. Keep yourself safe and happy. Continue to take care and love your children.
    karkaa

Answer by karkaa at 7:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• go get counseling - it will help you find the strength and sanity to make the changes you need to make, whatever they are.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thank you all for your comments. I'll definitely try the prayer, and as for counseling...I've never had much luck with that. I would leave him in a heartbeat if I were financially able. I do have a good job, but I can't support myself and my children on my low 30's salary. MarGee, I'm sorry you're going through the same thing. My husband also cusses up a storm when he's angry. The straw that broke the camel's back was a few days ago. My son was late getting ready for school and he wasn't ready to go when his dad wanted him to be. He cussed in the car with my son in there for the entire 20 minute commute. I asked him to apologize to my son and tell him that wasn't the correct way to deal with his anger and frustration, but he refused saying he'd never apologize to him...that parents don't apologize to kids. I wish he would take anger mgmt classes or I had financial assistance to leave.
    RCmom2010

Answer by RCmom2010 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• good luck
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010