• In the Spotlight:

2nd Foods

When did you start your baby on the 2nd foods?

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 11:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son started them after about 2-3 months of the first foods. He probably could have started sooner, but the goofy nurse practitioner at our pediatrician's office said not to. I finally went with my own feelings and decided to start him on them anyway. They're just a tad bit thicker than the first foods, and the containers are obviously larger. I'd say that once your baby seems to have the hang of first foods for a month or two, move on! Just give him/her smaller bites at first so that he/she can get used to the new thicker textures.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:35 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I used the gerber developmental guidelines and started a little earlier than they recommended w/o any problems. There isn't much difference between the 1 and 2s anyway. Plus, I usually thickened the 1s with cereal as she liked it better that way.
    Anonymous

• with my first daughter i started her on 2nd foods when she was about 10 months old but that was only because she was 3months premature, my second daughter i started her on 2nd foods about 3 months after starting 1st foods and she was about 7 months old and my third daughter she started on 2nd foods cause were i lived at the time i had to drivean hour to find a store that sold 1st foods and she eat so much formula and baby cereal that i had to try something and i started her on that when she was only 4 months old i know thats really early and most people wouldn't agree but as you see all three of mine started at different ages and they are fine. so the most i can say is your the mom in your heart and your gutt you know whats best.
    mama3g2s

Answer by mama3g2s at 3:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I started my son on the 2nd foods when he was almost 6 months and the 1st foods at 5 months. He seemed to like the 2nd foods more because they were thicker and the jars were bigger.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 4:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I tried out cereal at four months and it went ok but he wasn't that interested. Once I found out he liked oatmeal better than rice I started mixing that with 1st food around 4 1/2 months and at 6 months I was giving the 2nd foods still mixed w/ the oatmeal. I found he likes the 2nd foods way better because they're mostly mixtures of two or three different things. The texture on most of them don't seem to be any different than the first foods. He seems way happier and interested since starting the 2nd foods.

detroit.mommy

Answer by detroit.mommy at 1:41 AM on Oct. 17, 2008