would you be pissed?!

When i took my dd for her 2 month check up, i told the dr that she had a faint weezing when she was sleeping, he said it was just normal baby sounds. Since then she has a cold that her dr said wasnt bad so they did nothing about it. Now she has a flemmy sound when she breaths and has started a hard cough yesterday. Im taking her to a different dr tomorrow. But im pissed that they keep telling me that its nothing when clearly she sounds sick and is now almost 4 months old. My nephew has cronic bronchitis and is only 6 months old and it sounds like my dd has the same breathing sounds as him.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 7:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well they really cant do anything for her until she gets worse,
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i wouldnt be pissed at all. get a humidifier for her room and maybe put some vicks on the chest of whatever she is wearing.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Iv done the vicks. It helps at night but not so much in the say time. I just dont like the sound of her hard coughing now
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I don't know it's a little early to be pissed... I'd save that for after the second opinion. Babies do get colds and often all you can do is ride it out, but maybe she has asthma, etc. Wait and see what the second opinion says but know that young babies make weird noises (esp when their sleeping and even more so if they DO have a cold)The other piece of this is that if something were SERIOUSLY wrong and it's been going on for 2 months you would have seen something major happen by now. Is she still gaining weight, eating and sleeping well, playing, making eye contact, on track developmentally etc. Is she coughing does she have a fever etc. And know a lot of her symptoms if they aren't anything serious you don't need a doctor to treat. If she seems congested put some baby vicks on her chest and bring her in the bathroom while the shower is going those kinds of things run a humidifier etc. wait and see what the next doc says
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You could buy a sleep positioner that is slightly inclined at the top so when you lay her down to sleep, her head will be elevated. this will help her breathing. Doctors don't usually give infants and toddlers anything unless they have a severly high fever or major medical issue. At her age only Tylenol (for a fever). You just have to keep her comfortable, maybe a humidifier may help and wait it out. Since she is very young, I would limit the people that have contact with her. Especially children until her immune system builds up. Anyone who holds her or touches her should wash their hands first and provide a burp cloth for their shoulder. The winter flu season is coming so I would not allow anyone in the house with cold symptoms. I always carried antibacterial hand sanitizer with me when I went out for myself so I didn't transfer anything to my Son. Carry wipes with you too. Hope she feels better.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would get a second opinion
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I know how hard it is to listen to such a little one cough but honestly there probably is not much they will do for her. Meds are not recommended for babies or small children and don't make it go away, anyway. Run a humidifier but leave the bedroom door open all night. Or steam up the bathroom and sit in there with her for 15 minutes. Go ahead and take her for a second opinion to easy your mind but this will probably be just the first of many colds to come! Hang in there!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• A second opinion might not be a bad idea, but pissed is a little premature. Babies do get colds, and there isn't much that can be done for them besides saline spray, nasal aspirator, cool mist humidifier and vicks. There is a cool mist humidifier made by vicks that you put the vapor liquid or pad thing in that is amazing.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:04 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• unfortunately at that age there is not much they can do for them. I do agree, I would get a humidifier and put it in her room. We have had one that we use in my DD's room since her first cold. I actually use it all winter long as it is very dry in our house and it just helps her breathe. Unfortunately colds at that age can be very uncomfortable.
    Expecting1st

Answer by Expecting1st at 11:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2010