How do I get my 2 year old to stop biting her nails?

I cut them often, and am constantly telling her to stop biting them. She bites them so much that when I go to cut them, there is nothing to cut. She has recently gotten so bad that she has caused a couple fingers to be sore.

flora52

Asked by flora52 at 11:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "Thum Stops Thumb Sucking / Nail Biting" is a product that can be bought at places like Walgreen's.

From the bottle:
    Helps break the habit.
    Just paint on fingertips.
    No nausea or stomach upset.
    For adults, teenagers and children.
    Thum help break the habit of nail biting and thumb sucking with the first application.
    Thum contains a bitter tasting, but harmless pure vegetable product which acts as an immediate reminder whenever user puts finger in mouth.
    Unlike other preparations, Thum contains no ingredients to cause nausea or upset stomach.
    Made in USA.

That and a combo of making the nails look pretty might help....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• theres children books on them and videos iam sure some where on the interent also take pictures of her doing it and show her how pretty she looks whens she not doing it also tell her oh bad it is for her body like its yucky just explain it to her in a simple way and yea good luck

: )
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I just asked my 3 year olds doctor yesterday because my 3 year old is biting his nails too. The doctor said to dip his fingers in vinegar. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought that I would pass it on.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• there is this stuff you can buy called no bite that you can find at a beauty store, and it will break anyone of nail biting. it makes your fingernails taste horrible.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 2:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• That bitter "no bite" stuff won't stop her... she'll keep doing it, it'll just taste bad. Nail biting isn't really something you can stop her from doing. If you smack her hand, yell at her, put mittens on her, or whatever, she will bite them when you're not looking. I'm 27 and I STILL bite mine... nothing worked for me. Maybe she'll just stop doing it on her own someday.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I used the no bite nail polish. It is clear and doesn't give them belly aches or anything along those lines. I got it at wal-mart.It made her nails grow very pretty and she never bite them again.
    mommy-in-pink

Answer by mommy-in-pink at 1:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2008