My son plays drums all the time

Is it normal that my son plays drums all of the time. We go to restaurants and he uses the straws for drum sticks. Then all day long he plays the drums at home. He doesn't play with anything else. Its just constant. I have to ask him to give me a break very often and seems like he would get tired of playing them. Is this normal behavior for a 3 year old boy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No he has a special interest. Nurture it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I give him praise by telling him how good his is and dancing and clapping but how much is enough. This is the only thing he wants to do.
    balancingmother

Answer by balancingmother at 7:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Your son sounds like mine at that age, he is now 23 and a fantastic drum player, he played through high school and had his own band in Tally when he went out there for the University, his music played in the local stations, music is in his veins!!!!! He regularly has jam sessions at home where he created a recording studio, nurture his natural talent and get him lessons, after a while it will become melodious to your ears.......

Answer by older at 7:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• buy that baby some drums.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• They go through stages of doing things all the time.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• it's normal!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• normal, i would encourage drumming by getting some drums... explain that it's okay to play drums, on the drums... and make a big deal of him playing... lots of praise and excitement... maybe then he will give it a rest later on in the day!
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:31 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think a lot of boys like to bang on things, yes, but he may really benefit from some drums (just small bongos or something) and play some music and help him learn rythym and beat. That could really turn into a talent/hobby for him!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree, buy him some kiddie drums ! My nephew is the same way - he has nervous energy and is always banging on the table or his legs. My 16 yo son plays the drums and I absolutely love love love hearing him play. Embrace your son's energy and encourage him to practice on a small drum set! Maybe for Christmas? Have fun!!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2010