To the breastfeeding Momma??

Any advice for me? I really want to breastfeed and have been doing alot of reasearch on ways to help the process go smoothly for me and baby. But I thought I would ask here and see if I can get any other advice. I will take anything!! Thank you!!

confusedgirl919

Asked by confusedgirl919 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Join the Breastfeeding Moms group. Keep the mindset that you WILL breastfeed, not that you will just TRY TO. Seek out local La Leche League and attend their meetings. Ask questions!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Don't think it'll be a breeze, though it could be
    Don't be afraid to ASK for help
    When you feel like giving up, nurse it out for 24 hours and see if you feel the same
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Definitely join the Breastfeeding Moms group on CM - I did while I was pregnant & it really helped me understand and prevent any problems that could arise. Also what Krysta622 said - you WILL breastfeed, don't make formula an option. Don't keep it in your house, don't buy bottles just yet. Trust that your body knows what it's doing and knows how to nourish your child.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Really pay attention to those diagrams that show a proper latch and read everything you can about how to get the latch right. Then, once the baby is born, put Baby to the breast super-often to get your milk to come in like gangbusters. Don't be afraid to get help. Sooner is better than later, if you need it. You can do it and it's great!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• First thing is right after birth, put the baby skin to skin with you(after a diaper is on). Put your baby's chest against your chest, with his legs going down toward your belly. Let the baby move toward your breast over the 1st hour. He/she will find the breast. By placing the baby skin to skin, before the baby or you have a bath/shower, the baby will learn how to maintain a temp outside the womb, will seek out the breast and you have just solved 80% of all breast feeding problems. You may have a problem with the nursing and medical staff telling you the bath 1st is better. It's not! Put your foot down. This is your baby and you have waited 9 months to hold him/her. Then. bf whenever the baby wishes, even if you just finished bf. You are not out of milk, that is not possible. The more you feed, the better for you and baby. Good luck!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I had 2 C-sections and my hospital wouldn't let me feed imediately. The first time I waited too long, maybe 6 hours and it took me 4 weeks to get her latched on. I am not sure this is why but I didn't know what I was doing. The second I put him on as soon as I could which was still almost 2 hours and he latched on immediately. I suggest just try to get him on as soon as possible and if it doesn't feel right to you ask for help from the nurses or a lactation consultant. I wish I would have been more persistant with my first, it might have saved me a lot of heartache.
    bbchic

Answer by bbchic at 9:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thank you ladies I am def. going to take all these things into consideration. I think my biggest fear is that she is going to have trouble latching on and its gonna cause us problems:( Plus I dont think my family understands how important it is to me to breast feed and Im worried that all they are going to worry about is holding her and all that new baby stuff instead of allowing me to have my time with the skin to skin contact and allowing her to find her way on her own!!
    confusedgirl919

Comment by confusedgirl919 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Start attending meetings with your local La Leche League. It nice being around other breastfeeding moms and knowing you have someone to call if you need help or have a question. As long as baby is born healthy, try to nurse immediately. My daughter didn't leave the delivery room until about two hours after she was born. She nursed for about an hour and a half. They did the Apgar testing and weighed her right there in the room. They measured her length and gave her a bath after we were finished nursing. So there is no reason they need to rush the baby to the nursery immediately, unless of course there is a medical reason. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is a good book to read and have on hand. Trust your body. Just because your baby is nursing ALL THE TIME doesn't mean he/she isn't getting enough to eat. They are building your supply. NORMAL. Count diapers and relax.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree that you should join the breastfeeding groups here at cafemom and online.
    I think that it would be great to take a breastfeeding 101 class. They offer them at Babies R Us, The Health Dept and the Hospitals.
    It is also good to ask to meet with the lactation consultant at the hospital when the baby comes. She can help you with any issues that you are having when you first start trying. That is what she is there for. You can also go visit her after you go home.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i loved it with my son but he wanted more then what i had so i had to stop which upsets me still today his now three but i plan on doing it again just be in a nice area and watch tv or listen to music that helped me and him
    twimommy

Answer by twimommy at 10:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010