what do you do when timeouts dont work?

im son will be three this week and his talking back and yelling is getting bad but timeout doesnt really work any advise?

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 8:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• one thing that i have been trying im not sure who in here gave me that advice but i put him to bed whenevr he starts acting out , i tell him if hes going to act like that he needs to head to bed or when ever he cries for no reason off to bed n it has been working, my ds just turned four though.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 8:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I do that and it works
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I remind the boys to put their listening ears on. Counting to three also helps and if by 2 they haven't started to do what it is I've asked them to do I either put them in time out (if it's to stop doing something) or physically help them do what it is that I've asked. By that I mean I put my hands on their shoulders and walk them over to something or cover their hand with mine and pick up whatever it is I've asked them to pick up etc.
    On a proactive note, simply telling them "first we're going to do this then we can do that" helps. Staying calm and matter of fact also helps, not always easy to do but effective non the less.
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• "But time out doesn't really work." If you haven't been doing time outs for long then you can't judge if they're going to work. Time outs take a while to work, because kids think at first they can get up and disobey. You have to stick to the punishment you put forth otherwise nothing is going to work. And I'm not talking a week, I'm talking two weeks, three weeks. It takes time for kids to realize that what is put in place is law.

You can take away toys, put him in his room, you can give him simple chores to do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Timeouts for my daughter was her standing up and her face touching the wall, it worked really good but you have to be consistent and tough (dont' give in to crying )
    Nieman2

Answer by Nieman2 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• we do push ups...
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Take things away. Although when my 2yo goes to time out and if he does it again right after he goes back and I shut the door, then he stops immediately
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• timeouts work if you are consistent. They have to stay there for x amount of time & a timer is set only when they stop crying. If they leave, put them back & start over. I know it's hard, but eventually they get it.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• be consistant... with the time outs as well... choose ONE spot... and honestly we do the "if you aren't going to sit in time out you can forget tv time later" or something like that... usually kids will choose to sit there rather than to loose a fave toy or play time activity...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:29 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Distractions are great. Instead of time out, talk with him about why what he did was wrong, ask for an apology, and then move on to doing something where he can earn praise and rewards. Sometimes moving from the bad to the good shows them how much better it is to be doing good things and earning rewards and feeling happy rather than being upset and in trouble.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010