What do Catholics think about government welfare? For example receiving food stamps and medicaid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you are in need then there is NOTHING wrong with it. I'm a Catholic-Christian and we used WIC for a short while. (about an year). I have relatives on medicaid/food stamps because they NEED the help... IF you really need the help then there is nothing wrong with it... There is even Catholic Charities (Social Services) for those that need help. http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=193&srcid=-2
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:37 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• iam not a practing catholic anymore but iam still catholic and i think its fine if your doing it for the right reasons i have friends who just use it and sell the stuff on craigslist and i think thats wrong i think its alright but dont live on it to live on it try to work for something else to keep moving up and nver going down
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I think it depends on your intent/reason for needing them. I agree that it is wrong to use it when you don't need it, or to use it because you are feeding a lazy habit and just don't want to work. But, if you are in a situation where you need to use it to get ahead temporarily, then you shouldn't be ashamed of it. However, you should set a goal to use your talents and be more, so you don't have to use these programs indefinitely. Don't be afraid to ask for help or find other ways to support your needs. Believe in yourself that you have "golden eggs" and skills to share with others. LOL
    LitlChef1

Answer by LitlChef1 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• What does religion have to do with this at all? If you qualify then I am fine with you receiving it. If you lie to get it or misuse the system then I hope you get caught and consequences.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2008