switching from disposable diapers to cloth diapers-calling any or all cloth diaper experts

My daughter is 20 months old.I have not used cloth diapers on her but would like to make the switch,I cannot afford the fancy all in ones ,but have thought about buying one or two packs of the prefolds or flats they sale at wal-mart.but i am not sure how she will react to this.I want to get use to using them.

has anyone here put a toddler into cloth diapers?how did they react? is there a cheap way of starting to use cloth?

Gods_Girl1979

Asked by Gods_Girl1979 at 8:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am cloth diapering 3 kids for a starting cost of about $150, that's 4 dozen prefolds and a dozen covers. I don't suggest the cheap gerber ones you can get a Wal-Mart, they may outright make you hate cloth, lol. I initially switched to cloth when my oldest was about 10 months old, now my boys are 2 1/2, 1 1/2, and 6 months. I'd be happy to help you work through the switch and answer any of your questions if you want to send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You can also check out work at home mom's that make thier own, they tend to be a little cheaper than the brand names and some work just as well. If you are crafty with the sewing machine you can find patterns to make your own. I have a friend that does this. Go to www.diaperswappers.com there are some great ladies there with tons of info and resources!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• if she's been use to disposable, she'll have a hard time prefolds just because they are so bulky. i prefer smartipants. they are softer and not as bulky. they are pockets diapers, one-size-fits-all. they are about $40 for 3. you can always re-sell on craigslist when you are done with them. or, if you plan on having more kids, the smartipants fit will fit a newborn as well as a toddler. they have snaps that you can adjust to your child's size. i'm on my 3rd cloth-diapered baby. i bought my stash 6 yrs ago of varied brand and types. i've had to replace a few bumgenius because the velcro wears, but other wise they all have benefits and draw backs. i'll probably re-sell several of them when my baby is potty trained.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 9:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree, I wouldn't buy the cheap ones from Walmart. I buy the ones from www.diaperjunction.com. I love, love, love the Thirsties diaper covers. I've only ever had four in any size. I alternate between two at a time and then if one gets poop on it, then I will put it in the pail with the diapers. Otherwise I will wash them on wash day and then if I've already added one to the pail prior to wash day, then I'll wash the one that was in rotation the longest. I wash every other day and I have 30 diapers and that is a perfect amount for us. I could probably be fine with 24, but sometimes I mess around on wash day and don't always get them in the dryer right away or get them out right away. You might be able to find used diaper covers on www.diaperswappers.com or Ebay. The Thirsties covers are around $11 each.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2010