Why do they feel the need to smear the man with racially tinged trash?

Fueling the myth mongering that Barack Obama is not a natural-born U.S. citizen, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said in a recent interview that the president may follow a "Kenyan, anti-colonial" worldview.

Speaking to the National Review, Gingrich pointed to a recent Forbes article by conservative writer Dinesh D'Souza which attempted to trace the origins of Obama's personal and political philosophies.

"What if [Obama] is so outside our comprehension, that only if you understand Kenyan, anti-colonial behavior, can you begin to piece together [his actions]?" Gingrich asked. "That is the most accurate, predictive model for his behavior."

"This is a person who is fundamentally out of touch with how the world works, who happened to have played a wonderful con, as a result of which he is now president," Gingrich added.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Why do they feel the need to smear the man with racially tinged trash?

Only Heaven knows. I could talk crap about that man's policies all day and never once mention heritage, dna, birthplace, religion, or underwear color.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It's an easy way to say racist, hateful things without using the racist terms everyone would know and be able to identify. I think the Daily Show has done several segments, about mocking the hidden implication of "scary black man" or the "magical black man" (that bit was hysterical) by pointing out the fear behind all of these statements. And yes, if he were white, these things wouldn't be said, and if similar things were said about a white man, they wouldn't (obviously) smack of racism. This would be the perfect definition of institutional racism! Pretty ignorant, isn't it? It's like it's 1950 all over again, which is just sad.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 8:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Is he speaking about race, or is he speaking about policy? I guess instead of assuming that he was saying something racial, I would want that clarified (not by anyone here, but by Gingrich himself). I don't know enough about Kenyan politics to make a determination on that.

If it was strictly word play by Gingrich then I would see it as blatant pandering and it doesn't do much to help the conservative cause, IMO. But I am not defensive or emotional about this kind of stuff.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• More false claims of supossid 'racist' comments ..

Oh he mentioned Kenya..he's a RACIST! ..it's about ideals and policy ..JEEZ
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sounds like he nailed it to me. What is your problem??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Only Heaven knows. I could talk crap about that man's policies all day and never once mention heritage, dna, birthplace, religion, or underwear color. "

Best Answer! ^^^ LOL! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Let me get this straight. Apparently, even MENTIONING a country whose population is predominantly black is a racist thing to do ?

If Obama had been raised around Irish Republican Army family members and friends, and influenced by their attitudes about the British, would it be ok for Newt to talk about THAT background - because the influence was from WHITE people??

WHO is the racist here? When the rest of us non-racists hear Newt talking about Kenya, we do not automatically think about how Kenyans are black, we think about Kenya's nasty history under Britain's colonial rule.

Plus, in what way is Newt "fuelling the myth mongering" about Obama's birthplace? By - again - just MENTIONING the word Kenya? NOTHING in his remarks even hinted about Obama's birthplace or anything. That opening phrase was calculated to trick the reader into seeing something completely different from what Newt actually said !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:37 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• err even his wife said 'his hometown in Kenya'

so argue it with Michelle Obama lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

______________________
    See? lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• LMAO Cam

Quinn, whaddya mean you don't get emotional over politics ?.That's  not how the game is played.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2010