Eating fish during pregnancy

I am 7 weeks pregnant and ate striped bass last night for dinner. I realized today that bass is one of the fish to avoid due to the mercury level.

How harmful is eating it one time?

NDP201

Asked by NDP201 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should be okay. You should probably avoid fish for a little while just to avoid build up of mercury in the baby's system IMO. I used to eat tuna once a week when I was pregnant, but I didn't know about swordfish being high in mercury and I had it a couple times early in my pregnancy and my daughter turned out just fine. I would maybe ask your doctor about it the next time you go in just so you have the information, but I wouldn't worry about it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You should be okay but yes no more of the unsafe fish. Eat fish only twice a week and off the safe list.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 8:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• One time during a whole pregnancy you should be ok, but I wouldn't do it again.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Honestly, I don't want to sugar coat it because you'd be more apt to do it again and say "it's only twice". Just like making the baby, it only takes 1 time before you have a chance of hurting the baby. I'm not trying to rag on your for doing it, I understand that mistakes do happen, so please don't get mad at me. Just really watch what you eat :) And have fun with the kid when he/she arrives.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 8:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010