Why is it hard for my daughter to poop in the potty??

My daughte is almost 3 and no matter what i do she will not poop in the potty. She will go get a diaper for me to put on her to poop in it. She can pee in the potty but when it comes to pooping she refuses. I have tried everything, what do i do???

Nieman2

Asked by Nieman2 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yes
    denise310

Answer by denise310 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I have the same problem with my 3 y old son. Wish I would know the answer too
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 8:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Just be patient. She'll get there eventually. It's very common. If a child has ever been constipated they may fear that it'll hurt. It's also common for them to feel as if they're losing a part of themselves.

I'm going through it with my boys right now. If your dd really likes her pretty undies, you could try this trick that a friend of mine used. She cut the panties off and through them out after a poop accident. She told her "if you want to have princess undies you need to poop on the potty". She only had to do it once or twice.

For my boys I've tried food rewards. It worked for pee but not for poop. I've started having them do all the work to clean up and change after an accident. I'm hoping that after having to do that a few times they'll realize it's much easier to simply poop on the potty.
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• you have to tell her like i did my child: poop BELONGS in the potty. it doesn't belong on us, and it doesnt belong in a diaper cause you dont need those anymore. poop GOES in the potty (see, they WANT to do liek everyone else does very very badly and want approval cute lil tots). my child used to run to his bed and stand leaning on it and go, at that age. I got firm and said Noooo, poopy goes IN the potty! and i took the diaper off and SHOWED them it going in the potty, taking it to the toilet, and flushing it. Also, kids think poop is a part of them, so they are afraid to lose it in that dark toilet. SO, tell them bye bye poopy! We are goign to tell it goodbye if you go in the potty ok? say this to her. and even stay close by while she goes., and you have to make it fun for her liek letting her have a poopy party in there, on the potty, with a book and stuffed animals next to her and even music u name it! then PRAISE n laugh!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I saw this article once and stuck with me. ABC of potty training.
    A-Assess if your child is ready.
    B-Buy the materials to get your child ready for potty training (training undies, etc)
    C-Create a routine and Conceptualize.

I am a newbie here and I am not sure if I can put links. so here goes. http://royalnapmat.com/pages/pottytraining.htm. You will find that the article more detailed. I hope it works for everyone. Good luck!!!
    mommyof2boys57

Answer by mommyof2boys57 at 3:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I honestly think they are scared of seeing it, lol. My 24 month old son, pooped on the potty for the 1st time last week and all he did was stand there and say "ooh noo.. ooh noo" haha, I told him YAY but he didnt get it. He didnt want anything to do with the potty for 2 days! He has pooped on it once since then.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:21 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• This is what I did with 3 of my children and it worked everytime. I think they dislike doing poop in the toilet bc it takes more time, and they have to get used to using different muscles. It is much different sitting down to poop, then standing in a corner to do it.
    So when they are on the toilet I ask them if they need "help" Then I take my hands and set them on their knees. I give the knees a gentle squeeze and make the "ive got to push" face. I kind ofmake a little grunt noise with it. It helps bc then they usually mimic me. Practice making that face right now....automatically your muscles tense up right? Well when they mimic you, their muscles do too. It helps them get the idea of tightening to "push" and it also helps them to relax bc they think they are getting "help." They try harder, I'm guessing bc they do not feel like they are doing it on their own and it is impossible. Its not scientific, but its worked everytim
    v8v

Answer by v8v at 8:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• that's an interesting idea v8v! My dd was good about it, but my nephew was the same way, he'd demand a diaper to poop in. Poop takes longer. Just keep trying.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• don't put the diaper on her... get RID of them (or at least take them out of her sight) and tell her she's a big girl and pooping in the toilet is what big girls do... you are giving her an "out" by having the diapers there and changing her... let her poop in her big girl panties and see how she likes that...
    asil

Answer by asil at 12:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• A reward is always helpful, or a bribe, if you want to say it that way. We bribed our son with little toys (just small cheaper toys, nothing huge). Sometimes it just takes patience and encouragement before they get hte hang of it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:42 PM on Sep. 13, 2010