Shaklee, Melaleuca, or Watkins and why?

Which of these companies would you go with if you were looking for safer cleaners for your home and health products and why?

NonnasMomma

Asked by NonnasMomma at 8:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Money & Work

• I already worked for Melaleuca, had the opportunity to work with Shaklee and have heard of Watkins. I would choose Melaleuca again any day. They have outstanding products and a wonderful score on the Better Business Bureau. They also have A+ customer service. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Melaleuca, because I already use tea tree oil for cleaning (and a million ohter things)
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Buy with coupons and on sale at retail stores.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Tootoobusy, retail cleaners make me sick and give me violent headaches.
    NonnasMomma

Comment by NonnasMomma (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I love Watkins..and not just their cleaning products. The salves and extracts are great. In retail...have you tried 7th Generation?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• None of the above. They tend to be fairly secretive about the actual ingredients that they use, and they are expensive!!

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• None of the above. We're with a different company that's better. Mela-whatever is the LAST place I'd EVER buy something from - they're a crock. Never heard of shaklee. Watkins is good, but their stuff is overpriced IMO. If you get sick from regular cleaners, none of these are going to be any better - I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with rkoloms, but make your own - so much cheaper and just as good, and safer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• never heard of Watkins. I love shaklee's vitamins. For cleaners I make most mine w/ viniger and other things. But I do think Shaklee is good, of course not perfect. My MIL loves all things Shaklee. Mela bugs me because they have minimum orders(monthly I think?) for people who sell. And I don't like that their Renew lotion is scented. I won't buy it because of that. For essential oils I like Young Living. I don't sell any of them.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I'm a Mela customer!!! I will be for life! Their products are great, and like someone else mentioned Mela's customer service is amazing!!! visit: www.CleanandGreenFamily.com for more info.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 10:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree with the folks that say "make your own".... If you say how much of the cost of the products go to the MLM, you'd see that they are incredibly overpriced. There is a company starting up in Michigan that was in the Detroit News today EcoClean that sounded much more reasonable.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 11:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010