Is chicken broth and chicken stock the same thing?

I boiled a chicken carcass in somw water with veggie for 3 hours today, then kept all the liquid to freeze for soup making. Is this chicken broth or chicken stock or are they the same thing?

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 8:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Broth would be when you cook the chicken or bones in water and maybe add a little salt and maybe pepper. Stock includes cooking vegetables along with the chicken and may also include herbs. For the stock, after you cook the chicken and vegetables you'd drain the liquid off and maybe strain it, this liquid is the stock.

Answer by Bmat at 9:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I think of broth as very basic and watered down. Stock is rich and dark, the carcass simmered for a long time with veggies and spices and it has chicken fat in it that needs to be skimmed off when cool.
    norahsmommy

Answer by norahsmommy at 9:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• you make broth using just the meat... stock from bones and scraps.... stock comes out thicker and kind of gelatin because of the bones....

"Why make chicken stock from scratch, rather than pop open a can of chicken broth? Besides the obvious taste differences, homemade chicken stock contains gelatin, derived mainly from animal bones and cartilage. It's this gelatin that imparts the silkiness and mouthful texture to true stocks. I'm not sure why canned chicken broth lacks this gelatin (what are they making the canned stocks from anyway?), but it's the gelatin that truly separates the rich stocks from the watery broths."quote from this link

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/kgk/2003/0103/kgk011003.html

elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• thats broth. Stock contains veggie juice also with herbs and spices

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• When I make stock, I put the meat or bones in water, then add onions and carrots and celery cut up in big pieces. I throw in the celery leaves, a handful of parsley leaves if I have it, maybe a couple cloves of garlic, but always onions, carrots, celery. Also salt and pepper.The vegetables don't need to be finely chopped because they can be discarded, although I might or might not discard them.

Answer by Bmat at 9:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You use chicken stock to make chicken broth.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Good Answer E!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:50 AM on Sep. 13, 2010