• In the Spotlight:

Recurrent pneumonia

My son had pneumonia about two weeks ago. He had a course of antibiotics, a steroid, and an inhaler - and we stuck to them completely and followed the instructions exactly. He was doing great and seemed all better. Then this week end he had a sudden relapse. His O2 levels were down, he spiked a fever (he had no fever last time) and his breathing was rapid. We ended up taking him the the ER last night.

Now the doctor wants to send him to a pediatric pulmonologist...

I guess the question is, what can I expect with the pulmonologist, and can you please help me freak out a little less, because I am seriously loosing it. I am so worried right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Kids' Health

• hugsgood luck mama!

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i went threw this wih my daughter.The doctor will basically test for cystic fibrosis, and other lung disorders (chronic bronchitis, COPD) and test oxygen as well as prob some more xrays. The test are usually non invasive-meaning tyhey wont hurt your child. My daughter has had double pneumonia 4 times from the time she was 8 months to 2yrs and they thought she may have cystic fibrosis- turns out no and they don't know why she gets sick so easily. If your child is over the age of 2 thats prob not it cause it usually shows up by the age of 2. good luck, hopefully it's just because the antibiotics didn't work right or it could be a viral infection- which antibiotics wont help
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 9:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It will be as lovmyhubby said, and if the pulmonologist hasn't a clue, you could to talk to an immunologist about recurrent infections just to make sure the problem isn't with the immune system or maybe an ENT or GI to rule out silent reflux, which can cause aspiration pneumonias.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I think they just do some testing, but Good Luck:)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:17 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• alot of talking and maybe a few breathing tests... very easy, not painful...
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• awww poor thing. I am not sure what you should expect, but just stay calm and reassuring for your little guy.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• My son went through this to. We were referred to pulmonologist. We did the CF test. It was fine. We did an upper GI and he had abnormalities there but nothing to cause the problem. We then did a broncoscopy. It determined that he had tracheobronchomalacia. Still not an answer why. A year later we found an ENT and we did whats called a TITER test. It is to check to see if vaccines really work. Please PM me and we can talk some more.
    Mommyof2n0308

Answer by Mommyof2n0308 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2010