What do you do when...

you find yourself in a bind? This month I had 3 medical bills I had to make payments on plus all my other regular bills. I have ten dollars to last for the next two weeks until payday again. I my frig I only have carrots, milk and condiments. I have two loaves of bread, rice and beans. I went to the local food pantry but they are out of food until the 5th of next month. I can not go to the emergency food bank until next month. You can only go once every three months. What do I do now to feed my4 kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Money & Work

• I am so sorry about your situation and really wish i could help :( I would def stay with family or a neighbor, at least for meals. Are there any soup kitchens in your area that take walk ins? You need to swallow your pride and get out there. 4 kids is a lot to feed. You need to get desperate and make some phone calls. Im sure there are many ppl in your area that would be happy to help you. Best of Luck
    Anonymous

• You should also get food stamps from social services
    Anonymous

• Borrow? I'm lucky enough to have my mom next door, and we have been in your situation. We eat there. I have also helped friends out when they were in your situation and I didn't mind a bit. It's hard to swallow your pride and ask for help, but you have to feed your kids!
    Anonymous

• I would say talk to your family and friends... Maybe some of them could help you out... And get to your local welfare office... It's hard and it's embarrasing but if it means your kids eat it's worth it! Also try Ebay... The average house has $1500 worth of Stuff to sell... Start diggin!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Thanks for the suggestions! As for food stamps we make too much because I have a child that is special needs and he receives SSI. There are no soup kitchens in our area either. We live in a small town with less than 4500. 

My mother told me keep bugging the social services office but I can't force them to give me food stamps. Mother can't help she lives on a fixed income and can't afford to help.

I have never been so strapped for cash before. This is the worse feeling. I have really let my kids down. I feel like such a failure right now.

Someone suggested ebay but I don't know how to do that.

Anonymous

• You, said that you had to make payments on those medical bills: Are they pay in full now? Or are you going to have the same issue next month? If you are going to have the same issue next month, have you tried talking to the Dr offices an lowering the min. due? Have you consider finding a way to combine all 3 bills so they are 1 bill with a lower amount due? Have you thought about WIC and/or Food Stamps? Do you know if you qualified for those things? I'm sorry that you are going through all of this, What about your monthly bills? Is there something that can be cut? cable? cell phone? etc.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• If you go to a church or even if you don't you could speak to the church leader and see if they could help you.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• PM me... or just call... my number is 724-258-6919 If you can find some stuff around your house we can get you set up on Ebay... I've been there! You'll get through this!

Things that sell could be things like extra formula, movies Disney doesn well, games or computer games, even antiques... You got junk in the basement? Sounds like a sale to me!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The other thing I can say is food needs to come first some times... If you can't make a full payment on your bills make a partial... But you have to eat. Same with your other bills... Call your utility companies and see if they can help you out... Most times they can at least spread your payments out a little thinner.

Do your self a favor and make up a budget. I will help you if you don't know how. Once you have it STICK TO IT!

• This is what I have done so far; I called and had my gas bill taken off of the budget program since I am ahead in payments, I tried calling my elec/water company but they were no help, the doctor bills can not be combined (hospital, labs, and doctor) I've been making payments but they were not happy that it has taken so long and gave me a dealine to have them paid off, I applied for the financial aid from the hospital and still waiting back on that, can't cancel cell phones until January and satelite until the end of November because of darn contracts. I do go to church and asked the church for help but it has to go to a committee for a vote first.

I had  a garage sale over the summer and earned $250 that I used to stock the cupboards and buy wipes and diapers.  Our food stock has withered down to what I stated earlier.

Anonymous