How is Obama going to get my insurance company to cut my premium by $2,500?

In the debate last night Obama stated that if I want to keep my current health insurance provider he will reduce my premium by $2,500...he forgot to tell me how he is going to do this....My premium for my family has gone up steadily over the years and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how a President is going to tell an insurance company to lower my premiums and they will just listen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• He can't, Hw won't it is just another empty 'change' promise with no plan on how to make it happen.
    Anonymous

• He's going to have his cronies threaten them!!
    Anonymous

• He didn't say how this would happen. I would like to know, for real, how that is going to happne.
    Anonymous

• If this is a real concern, I would say to look into Canada's health system. Government directed and installed health care may work for other countries that already impose incrediable demands and make caring for the masses and providing for their citizens their job, but I am teaching my son 8th grade US History and I see why our Country began like it did. To get OUT from under the supression of the King. We should be able to choose the insurance that fits ourselves and family. There should be a free market out there for me to choose from, not a government mandated provider. As long as the government can tell insurance or any corporation what to charge, etc. then we will find our world looking more like the other countries. And why is it that peoples of other countries want to live here? Did someone say freedom?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Obama’s plan is not a single-payer system, which would be one in which everyone has health care provided and paid for by the government. Under Obama’s health care plan, Americans can keep the insurance they have, choose from federally-approved private plans or buy into a new public plan similar to the health care federal employees and members of Congress have.

This is from Factcheck.org. Obama's claim was a bit overzealous, but is based on fact. He provides other options of health insurance that may be much more affordable and reliable to families during his term.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I was wondering the same thing after you posted this, I thought there might be some diehard Obama voters swooping in to defend yet another promise he can't possibly deliver on.
    Anonymous

• "And why is it that peoples of other countries want to live here? Did someone say freedom? "

Actually, when you look at immigration statistics of foreign population inflow in recent years, America isn't even one of the top 20 countries. Here's the link.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/imm_for_pop_inf-immigration-foreign-population-inflow
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• He can't! Just another lie. Love your answer akinbottom.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• He can't. First, he can't order a company to lower it's premimums.
    The plan is to increase the amount of basic healthcare that every gets. As everyone gets healthier because they are getting basic problems treated, the amount of money spent on larger problems will drop. (Diabetics won't end up in the hospital for example) As the amount of money they spend drops, the insurance companies will drop their premimus.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Let’s say an overweight diabetic goes to the doctor for help.
    He tells her to lose weight.
    The Ding-Dongs and fried foods are too much a part of her life, exercise too hard and sweaty. She doesn't make the changes she has been told to make. No savings here.
    Let's argue that most people do make the changes and that the amount the companies spend drops over the years (and it would take years). What incentive do they have to pass that savings on to you instead of pocketing it themselves?
    Do you remember the theory of "trickle-down economics"? It didn't work when the Republicans tried it and it won't work now that the Democrats want to try it.
    kaycee14