My 3 Year old son has a studdering problem?

I just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem and how do you know when it's severe? It's just at the start of setences like "IIIIIIII have to go to the Bathroom"

TheDayMommyof4

Asked by TheDayMommyof4 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Toddlers typically stutter when they start speaking. It is nothing new. I would not worry about it. They will eventually overcome this deficiency. If you are still concerned about it afterwards, you might want to consider visiting this incredible website called Nogginpower2. One thing I learned from visiting Nogginpower2 is that they provide a great deal of information on Discipline, Getting Great Grades, Making New Friends and Improving Social Skills. The manuals Making New Friends and Improving Social Skills from Nogginpower2 should actually guide you in teaching your child to practice speech even more They can overcome their stuttering even faster by practicing these skills. I hope this helps. Thank you and good luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I would talk to his doctor. It could be nothing but you should just be sure.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I had this problem with my 3 yr old but then looked it up in a child development book that I have. It turns out that it is normal and will go away in about 3 mo. My son is already over with it. If it lasts longer than 3 to 4 mo then call the Dr.
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 4:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Gavrilmom: where did you look up the info? Please let me know. My daughter has a problem, too, and I think it's over 6 months. She does "I need to go, I need to go, I need to go, I need to go to the bathroom". It helps when I gently put my hand on her shoulder when she does, then she can finish the sentence. I asked the doctor, and she just said not to worry.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 9:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• "Caring For Your Baby and Young Child Birth to age five" By Steven P Shelov MD its backed by the American Academy of Pediatrics. It has helped me with alot of those little questions. It's a great book to have around b/c it goes through all aspects of development. Emotional, language, congnetive, large, and gross motor. The back of the book also has a whole section of childhood health and safety issues.
    Sorry about my ranting
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 2:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2008