how can you tell if a child that is not your own

is autistic or delayed?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 9:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is still a good thing to point out to someone who may either be in denial or who does not know themselves. I'd rather make an ASS out of myself by nicely pointing out there might be an issue, then to let the child go on longer without the intervention they need.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• if you're not around them for long periods of time, regularly, i'd assume you wouldn't be able to.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• There are a number of things that parents, teachers, and others who care for children can look for to determine if a child needs to be evaluated for autism. The following “red flags” could be signs that a doctor should evaluate a child for autism or a related communication disorder.

The child does not respond to his/her name.
    The child cannot explain what he/she wants.
    Language skills or speech are delayed.
    The child doesn’t follow directions.
    At times, the child seems to be deaf.
    The child seems to hear sometimes, but not others.
    The child doesn’t point or wave bye-bye.
    The child used to say a few words or babble, but now he/she doesn’t.
    The child throws intense or violent tantrums.
    The child has odd movement patterns.
    The child is hyperactive, uncooperative, or oppositional.
    The child doesn’t know how to play with toys.
    The child doesn’t smile when smiled at.
    The chi
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It would depend on how well the child does or doesn't function in public. When my son was younger, everyone knew that something was wrong with him because it was that obvious, but now, after years of therapy, most people would be hard pressed to know. Well, at least until they spent a little time with him. Now if you are interested as a professional, there are tests & checklists of specific milestones & observed behaviors that can lead you toward a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder or Developmental Delay.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• These signs are important for teachers or caregivers to know. And it IS important for them to speak up.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Oh, and I should mention that there are numerous other conditions that can mimic or be misdiagnosed as a child having an Autism Spectrum Disorder or Developmental Delay, including, but not limited to neglect, genetic disorders, other behavioral disorders, hearing loss, learning disabilities or even having a high IQ.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would never make comments like that about someone else child so I probably should say nothing.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• The child is a close relative, and the lack of attention to the problems he's having is causing problems with my child. That's why I'm asking.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would not know how
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You can't always tell. You can ASSume, then you know what can happen then.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2010