do you block the sun light from coming in your children's rooms?

or do you just let the natural thing happen when the sun comes up and let it wake them up? or have u blocked the light but they still wake up when the sun comes up? do you think this is a good idea?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• I put a heavy curtan over my daughters window. If i dont she wakes up at the butt crack of dawn.
    bunnywzrd

Answer by bunnywzrd at 9:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• my dd has blinds. they block some light. usually she gets up about an hour after the sun comes up.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i had to put dark curtains on my son's window. otherwise he won't sleep. he thinks it's time to play if his room is lit. so it's very hard for me to get him to sleep. i don't think it's unhealthy because i take him to the park a lot and he goes places. so he still gets his sunshine.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 9:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• We use a dark curtain for naps. It doesn't help in the am.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i have a blanket in my boys window 2 reasons keeps cold out and otherwise they woulnt have gotten much sleep this summer
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My son does have curtains on his window, but they don't completely block the light from his room, not that it really matters because we are up before the sun anyway so that he can get ready for school. If he had his preference, he'd sleep until at least 8 every morning, but since he can't, he takes a nap in the afternoon to make up for the loss of sleep.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• We have roller blinds on all the bedroom windows, but over all we are all pretty early risers.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• We have blinds on the kids windows. They usually wake up about nine so it doesn't affect them a lot.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I had to get room darkening curtains for my 11 year old's room. Otherwise, during the summer, he is up at sunrise as his room faces east and the sunlight was waking him up. He sleeps until 6:30 or so now. Which, is a heck of a lot better than 5am.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Our kids' rooms face west, and they have a early bedtime (before 8 pm) so in the summer that means the sun is shining right into their rooms. We had a sheet up last year on our son's window, but we took it down when we painted his room and never put it back up. He's almost 4 and no longer has a problem getting to sleep when it's light out. He also doesn't wake up until after 7. My daughter is 7 months old, and I had to put the sheet up in her room once she figured out she could play in her crib. She had a hard time napping in the afternoons, and the sun would shine right on her crib in the evenings. It really started to affect her sleep in the last couple of months so we put the sheet up. It's not pitch black in her room, but it's dark enough so that she knows when the light is off, it's time to sleep.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2010