any one have children needing speech therapy?

We had are middle son tested recently for speech intervention and he failed. He is 23 months old with only about 15 solid words down with alot that could possibly pass for other words like peez for please, ubby for bath tub, etc. He is trying, it's not that he unresponsive, but I was wondering if speech therapy would help? Or should I let him work at his own pace? Neither of our other kids have an issue with this. Our oldest was talking at 3 months and our youngest is 7 months but has several words already. Am I over reacting?

candle5

Asked by candle5 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no matter what anybody says dont wait til he can speak at his own time...the longer he wait his chances of him catching up with kids his age can be greatly reduced..ppl told me to wait it out he will speak in his own timx..no ..@ 23 mons i took him to a ENT doc..they tested him..tho he passed the basic hearing u get at the pedi office.. didnt pass their test cause he had a sensory issue wit hearing so it cause him not to be able to speak...he cant stand high pitched sounds like horns,abulances,firetrucks,etc...also he had a prob with eating.he still in speech @ 5..
    my 2 yr old had a probl..ppl again said wait til she speak in her own due time..no she didnt..she was born with asthma/ acid reflux..which cause her to not be able to speak either...cause eating,hearing,an speaking go hand in hand...
    both only ate things that were soft like jello,spaghetti,noodles, request to c an ENT..early prevention is the best prevention.GL
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I have a child in speech she had a laps in speech at about that age. It was because she had fluid in her inner ear and they finally decided to put tubes in when she was FOUR. I'd have his hearing and ears checked also to make sure he's hear things correctly
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I'm sorry my child is now 9 and still has problems with speech.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• my son was 2 and only saying like 30 words i was told by the daycare not to worry and by his doctor not to worry too but i couldnt help so i call and got him so help and they were like yeah his like 6months behind so we got help and now you can almost understand everything he says
    twimommy

Answer by twimommy at 10:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My granddaughter was born tounge-tied so she had lots of problems talking at 2 she can only say abot15 -20 words. She recently had her tounge clipped and is now goig to see a speach therapist.
    nanny29

Answer by nanny29 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I say let him just do it in own time... Children do things at their own pace...My son son was kinda late starting to talk but now he can say lots lots. He talks in full sentences but some of the words are off a bit... He has problems with D mostly... drink is shrink..stuff like that...
    I am going to wait till pre-k and if I feel he is 'behind' where it would affect him in a neg. way, then I would think about speech therapy... you should maybe do the same :) He is 3 btw.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• A Speech Therapist will teach u soooo much and it will only help ur child!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• no
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My son has a speech delay and has been going though Early childhood invertion since Feb, it has help me out to say more words but not enough for his age so right now he will conuting with the speech thepary thought Early Childhood but once he turns 3 he will be goiing to special ed preschool to help more out more with his speech. My son has speech once a week at our house and we don't pay for it all. It's better to get help now before he turns 3.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2010