What can I do about these awful leg cramps?

Last night I had both of my legs cramp up while I was sleeping(not at the same time...first I woke up in pain from the right one, I went back to sleep and woke up 2 hours later in pain from the left one) and it's unbearable...my calves are killing me now and the muscles are in a knot. What can I do to prevent them from happening(this is the 3rd time it's happened in the last month) or to help the muscle feel better...I can barely walk and I have no idea how it happened in the first place lol

jazi1105

Asked by jazi1105 at 10:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• HELLO, MY NAME IS BONNIE COLE AND I REFER YOU TO GO SEE A DOCTOR SOON AS POSSIBLE. CAUSE IT MIGHT BE A BLOOD CLOT . I HAVE BLOOD CLOTS IN BOTH OF MY LEGS AND LUNGS. I'VE HAD SINCE 2005. AND ASK YOUR DOCTOR IF COULD BE ALSO PERTHERIAL ARTERY DISEASE. NOT GOOD. IF YOU DO FIND OUT. YOU WILL MOSTLY BE PUT ON COUMIN.SO PLEASE TAKE CARE AND GET CHECKED QUICKLY, SICERELY WILDMOMMA.
    WILDMOMMA1969

Answer by WILDMOMMA1969 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Stretch your legs/toes before bed,make sure you are drinking enough water, eat bananas(or anything with Potassium),and if you feel a leg cramp coming on stand in the rub for some reason cold porcealin(tile or marble work too) makes them go away.These are all things that helped with both of my pregnancies. Good luck and Congratulations!
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I had this w my son I have a clotting disorder but it wasn't the cause of my cramps but it wouldn't hurt to check bc yes very dangerous eat bananas and ask if u can take xtra potassium and don't point hor curl your toes when you strech it can bring them on instantly
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• What Liss05 Said.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:04 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I had that happen and my midwife told me to get Magnesium supplements (500 mg) and after the 2nd dose the cramps were gone!!! It was amazing :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:57 AM on Sep. 13, 2010