How do you find balance?

I work full-time as an analyst, am married and have a toddler. I find it so difficult to dedicae myself to all three as all three require so much (and deserve so much). I know work is only a job and will always be there--I'm on a project, though, and this is really an opportunity for me to help define my career. What tip do you have for making it work? Oh yeah, I love to read and do crafts, but they fall by the wayside b/c of the things that need doing.

newmommy0409

Asked by newmommy0409 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in General Parenting

• You have to do what works for you and your family, but balance isn't always easy. There's a lot of trial and error involved. What DH & I have found that works for us is that we leave work at work. That's easier for me than him since he's in IT and almost always "on call." If the kids are awake, we spend time with the kids as much as possible. We try to do chores and such when they're napping, and they are both in bed by 8 pm. That early bed time gives us plenty of time to do what we want. Some nights, we may watch TV together or he may play video games and I spend hours of CM. Unless we have company coming, we really try to reserve our evenings for us. You have to figure out what is important to you and go from there. :)
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Finding the balance is subjective. Everyone's balance is different. My balance was working 3 days a week instead of 5. If that is not something you are able to do with your career, I would suggest just becoming "unplugged" when you are spending family time...Let phones go to VM, check emails after your toddler has gone to bed, make family meals when all of you can be together but, be sure to carve out a little time for yourself...Maybe dedicate 45 minutes 3 days a week to working out. (this is something I do that totally decompresses me). Good luck to you Mama...You will find it.
    mrimom

Answer by mrimom at 10:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I work 40-45 hours a week i have a 2 yrs DD and 13 yrs step-son, my hubby works night shift, so ya I get up (on most nights i have 3-5 hrs sleep) make my DD lunch get my SS up for school and then get the baby up feed them breakfast, get the baby ready for daycare, get SS out the door to bus stop, bring DD to daycare, go to work, get out of work get the baby come home, get homework going, get dinner ready, get the kids ready for bed and get hubby up for work and some days I go in for 4-5am so hubby gets kids up and ready. Mind you all i also don'r drive so I walk 20 mins to and from work and daycare is 10 min walk so ya my day doesn't end until sometimes 11-12pm I never stop and then when i am relaxing i know i should be doing something. Like right now. I need a vacation and I just got off one and I need to go again.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I am always looking and hoping to find the balance. Sometimes I feel like I'm just going through the motions and then I will stop and tell myself to snap out of it and start living in the moment and appreciate EVERYTHING I have right down to the running water I have to wash my dishes.....we have more balance than we realize. Chin up! You're doing a great job!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I dedicate one hour every other day to the fun things and that helps me with college and my production company when I go back I am ready to work hard.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010