What do you do when your 16 year old is chrushing on a 22 year old at work, but she knows she can;t act on it because we would never allow it?

cinbad13

Asked by cinbad13 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• That's a tough one. I would basically just sit her down and explain your rules. Then I would explain that your rules are also protecting this young man as well. Because of your state's laws, if they had sex, then he would be charged with a class E felony. Show her the law and just explain to her that you are protecting her and him. If they still like each other when she turns 18, then they can give it a try then, but not any sooner. Be firm but understanding at the same time.

http://www.ageofconsent.com/tennessee.htm

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• When I was 16 I had a crush on a co-worker who was 20, we started dating when I was 17 (he asked my dad first) now we are married and have a DD(i'm 23 and he's 27, dd is 2). Not the same age gap but I knew hat could happen. Sit down and talk with her about it, see how she feels and do you trust the guy?
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 10:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree with both pp. Talking it over and explaining the risks.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 10:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i say remember back when u were that age...when i was 16 i was madly in love with eminem who was in his early 30's talk to her let her know that it's not a good idea...DO NOT tell her how it's gonna be...because as a teenager that's just going to be a challenge....hmmm can i do this with out moms findin out
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Talk to her and explain to her that HE could get arrested for dating someone underage... I won't lie when I was 16, I dated a 20 year old and lied to my mom about his age, in the end, I got grounded for a LONG time. lol.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:26 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• What JeremysMom said is spot on. There are legal issues involved and it is playing with fire.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:34 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with JeremysMom too!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• talk it over, don't push... it would make her "want' it more... and ust let her know your rules...
    if it's really just a crush, i'm sure he will do something sooner or later that will make her heart break and you won't need to worry about it any more.
    but be prepared... my SO is 9 years older than i am!
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:19 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree with JeremysMom. When I was 16 I dated a 22 yr old married man, my parents didn't know he was 22 or married, obviously they weren't very bright. I look back on that time in my life and I really can't believe I was involved with that person. I know why I did it, but now when I think about it sort of makes me sick.
    I'd suggest talking over the risks and laying down the rules. (Something my parents never did)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I definitely agree with jeremys mom.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:03 PM on Sep. 13, 2010