question about crocheted potholders

is acrylic yarn the wrong choice for potholders? I noticed on etsy and many instructions they are all 100% cotton yarn?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I have only used the cotton threads for this my mom yas used sports yarn or so and has not had problems.
    nanny29

Answer by nanny29 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• what is sports yarn made of
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Some of the synthetic yarns react poorly to heat...they melt, scorch, frizz or generally become misshapen. I prefer cotton yarns. Another tip: do not use bleach and air dry to keep the potholders looking nice.
    AppleDumpling

Answer by AppleDumpling at 10:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I saw on an ad in some women crafting magazine that if you roll strips of jeans into tubes, as in turning strips/ lengths of the material inside out , sewing them into longish, finished seams, and using that for a weave method they made gorgeous pot holders. and trivets. The hardest part is pulling the material back out right side out.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Cotton won't melt...as quickly...LOL... sport weight is lighter, thinner yarn then worsted weight.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:00 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Cotton is my yarn of choice as it washes so much easier and the stains come out well. Also I find it resists the heat more making them safer to use.
    steveiguana

Answer by steveiguana at 1:06 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree, synthetic yarns melt. I use sports yarns. I was just thinking today about making some potholders.
    violetz

Answer by violetz at 2:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2010