DRINKING WHILE BREASTFEEDING.....

I am due with my son on my 21st Birthday. I have to have him early for it to be covered by my insurance because beyond my 21st Birthday I will no longer be covered by my insurance and I do not qualify for Medical. Anyways, I am drinking on my birthday to celebrate but I will be breastfeeding. I will pump days before and store the milk. Then pump the tainted milk after.
How long will my milk have the liquor in it? Is it even necessary to pump, can he just continue to consume it?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 12:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was told the same as the first poster, so I would pump enough to last through over night feedings, as well as the first and maybe second morning feedings, and then call it good. But I also never got completely trashed, like, hangover type of trashed, when I was BF'ing. I did 12 hours and called it good, but maybe you should do at least 24 to be safe.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I was told it takes up to 12 hrs to be safe for a baby to drink, and thats only if your just drinking a few like one to two drinks, I would wait atleast 24-48 hrs to be sure...but I get nervous about stuff like what my son eats and drinks
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 12:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• How much do you plan to drink. If its just one or two drinks then after 12 hours you should be fine. If you plan to drink any more than that I would wait 24-48 hours depending on how much and what type of drinks you had. Its never a good idea to drink while breastfeeding
    Anonymous