How does one become a person that people want to follow?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Umm.. this is isn't something you really learn how to do. IMO people are born followers or leaders.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Usually people tend to follow those who exhibit things like love, wisdom, patience, understanding, humility, etc. - at least in spiritual matters. I know that I'm more drawn to spiritual leaders with these qualities than those who don't posses them...

(and look at the examples of sages and saints - "holy" men...)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I could go on about this topic for hours, honestly. It depends on the situation- some people take advantage of the weakness of others, leading them to 'salvation' or 'eternal life' through religion. They use the weak-will of people and make their weakness (pity, poverty) seem holy (God loves the poor, be humble) They are ascetic priests. Then there are those who simply have the will to power. They are born to lead, to command. They are a higher man that no normal person can compare to. Alexander the Great and Napoleon are two men who exhibit the will to power. I highly suggest Nietzsche on this topic.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I would have to say it's about the example they provide... At least for ME to find reason to follow someone else they would need to prove to me they are worthy of my follow by the example they lead. However, there have been and will always be other reasons - weaker people look for people to follow so charismatic or strong people will have an easier time gathering a following... There is also the idea of power... Those who have power, be it political, religious or monetary, tend to gather a following simply because people are afraid to stand up against power...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:07 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ... By being someone who doesn't CARE whether people follow or not.

Be your own person, following your own best judgment and conclusions and principles. It's called being true to yourself. Too little space to get into it ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:55 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• when society is at a part of anarchy or destitution they get desperate to follow anyone that looks like they may lead to salvation. Whether it be Jesus or Adolf Hitler, the people at the time were desperate for any change.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:13 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Walk the walk, talk the talk, talk is cheap, actions speak louder, lead by example. I like all of these things. Jesus had great qualities.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 9:34 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Read How to Win Friends and Influence people by Dale Carnegie
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:00 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• "If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
    ~ John Quincy Adams
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• ghostwriter, I like that quote.
    I personally don't care if I am the sort of person that people follow. I don't need a fan club. I just want to be who I am.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:18 PM on Sep. 13, 2010