OMG how do I get her to stop?!?!?!?!

Ok so here is the problem, my 17 month old, for MONTHS now has been in the habbit or whatever it is of throwing food, cups, silverware, etc off her tray when she gets bored. She has always had a good appitite so I dont think it is b/c she isn't hungry any more b/c after i let her down so goes and gets snacks out of the snack cupboard.

It is super annoying and really starting to bother me now. Ive tried telling her no, she acts like shes deaf, i give her mean looks she laughs, i dont give her back what she threw that doesn't work, i've started tapping her on her hand to get her attention and she STILL doesn't react to that either.

HOW DO I GET HER TO STOP THIS BEHAVIOUR!!!???

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• okay spanking is not a great choice i have a son who will be 8 and a daughter who is 2... and ur wonderful ray of sunshine is in a completely normal stage... she is learning cause and effect,i alawys love these stages i would grab a ball and just a mix of toys and other "okay to play" objects and sit on the floor with her then drop it.. as she will laugh and be amazed u say the sound it makes and say what the object is than have her drop it and see if she can react what it sounds like or does when it drops

than when she tries to do it elsewhere u explain no wait until we get home or at dinner say no and remove the plate let her sit there and kindly talk to one another so she can see the proper way to eat as a family when at the store keep her occupied by pointing out colors, animals on the cans, or come up with a game that best fits u both by the time ur done shopping no throwing and she will grow out of it.. GL
    Bekah S.

Answer by Bekah S. at 1:39 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Cause and effect. She causes the food/cup to fall and the effect is your reaction. Ignore it and she should stop.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• my 13 month old does this too....if he does it more than 3 times, i take whatever it is away from him and if he is finished eating i take him away from the table to his playpen his playroom
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Don't let her get snacks if she dumps her food. She'll learn when she's not given more to eat what she's got and not waste it. Also don't give a big reaction to it if she does it. Sometimes seeing Mommy worked up can be funny. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• (oh, and that may sound harsh, but kids won't starve themselves, I promise!)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It sounds like she wants the attention.. Babies of all ages seem to know on what to do to get a reaction from the parent or whomever. Just walk away. If you know that she will not hurt herself, let her be and she will soon figure out that its no fun anymore when you don't respond.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 10:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• omg don't 'whip' your baby for being a baby... my son did this

use a real stern voice and tell her thats wrong.. take the stuff from her... dont let her feed herself....no snacks if shes throwing her food...

I know what you mean about it getting annoying... always cleaning up food off the walls or floors... i did all of these and it seemed to work for me...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• ignore or jsut whip her
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I dont normally give her snacks after she throws all the food and stuff off her hair chair. I can't just walk away from it to ignore her b/c we are all eating together, im not going to not eat just to stop this. I guess I can try just ignoring her though. This extends to the car though her throwing things, and in shopping carts, strollers, etc. anywhere. Im very stressed by this. :(

I will try your suggestions though. Thank you.
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Juliansmommy317-NO WORRIES I defenetly will not EVER do that. Ive tried the stern voice and what not, it doesn't seem to phase her. Even if it something like she is trying to climb on top of the table, you could scream as loudly as possible NO ADA and she would STILL do it. I dont understand how this stern voice mommy thing isn't working for her. Isn't that supposed to work for all kids?! LOL Then they know they're in trouble haha.
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2010