I don't know why my son is scared?

My son has been in his own room for 6 months now. He is 20 months old and for the past week or so cries like he is scared to death when we put him to bed and once we finally get him to sleep he wakes up in the middle of the night screaming and crying hard.We just got rid of his binky over a week and a half ago but would this be the cause of the crying? He now has his snuggle bear which he absolutely loves! We haven't heard about the binky in two days now. Any ideas what could be going on?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wish u luck
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• My guess is the binky. My son didn't use one however so I'm only guessing.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Scared of the dark. My twins had been in their room since they were born, never had a problem sleeping in total darkness with the door closed. At 2.5 years suddenly the door had to be open and they needed light. Get him a couple of night lights, leave the door open, and maybe get him a glow worm. My girls love their glow worms, they can control the light and cuddle with it.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• is there a nightlight in his room? Maybe something scared him and he remembered how the binky comforted him? He'll get over it soon enough! Just check up on him after a few minutes, console in him that everything is ok, give him a hug and tuck him in.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I agree with mrspierce and maybe get his a night light or something just so he can see. Its possible he stirs awake in the middle of the night and is frightened because he can't see where he is. Could also be from the binky as well. Good luck!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• he may still be adjusting to not having the binky. he may be afraid of the dark. there may be a shadow or something that scares him.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Yeah just try to maybe talk to him about the room, about like what makes each shadow, maybe leave more light on from the hall or closet for him...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Sometimes kids deveolpe irrational fears for not reason. There does not always have to by a particular thing that they focus their fear on. He mayb be adjusting and he may not be. With a 20 month old it is virtually impossible to get a reason out of them. Just make sure that you make him feel comforted when he is put in bed. A little light onw his bear and just keep to that routine, perhaps a bedtime story. Then when he wakes up at night I always tried to get to their side as quickly as possible soothing them back to sleep.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Well we have a light on for him but it doesn't seem to be helping...wondering if its an attention thing maybe? I dunno? Me and daddy have been in there multilple times and comforted, held and sang to him. Even gave him a cup of warm milk. I don't know why or whats going on. I am just ready to pull my hair out :(
    leann74016

Comment by leann74016 (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• try to cleanse the room with a little prayer while he is not around..then get a spray bottle fill it with water an when its time for bed tell him that you are spraying special water from God to protect him while he is sleeping that way he will feel safe while he is sleeping...also is there a specifc part of the room that he is scared of..most kids seem to center in on their closet..just wondering...GL
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 12:23 AM on Sep. 13, 2010