Does Smoking while breastfeeding effect the milk?

I smoke marijuana occassionally. Will doing so while breastfeeding effect the baby? Please no lectures, just want to know the facts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just keep in mind that whatever chemicals go into your body, your baby gets. If you have no problems with these things happening to your infant you should still keep in mind that marijuana is illegal. You run the risk of losing your precious baby if the wrong people discover that you are smoking. I don't know about you but that's not a risk that I would be willing to take!

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Anything that you take into your body will affect your milk, how much I don't know.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 12:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• yes some will.

do you realize that if your baby has a blood test for medical reasons and they find THC in the blood, they will take your baby from you?
    Anonymous

• Its illegal for a reason. If thats what you want to do , then good for you. But if it can potentially hurt your baby , why risk it in the first place.?..seriously...why?
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Marijuana has several dangerous side affects for both you and baby. Marijuana has over 10 times more carcinogens (cancer causing chemicals) than cigarettes do. Marijuana also contains small amounts of THC. THC is also found in other illegal substances such as "acid" a.k.a. LSD. THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) found in cannabis plants can cause nausea, vomiting, long and short term memory loss, permanent anxiety disorders, depression, and in some cases, permanent brain damage.

AvasMommy810

• even if marijuana was terrific for my health, I would not risk losing my kid over it...

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• yes it will effect your milk. You should do whats best for you and your child and stop smoking now before your baby gets taken away from you. I gurantee if I knew you I would report you to DFS, or CPS with out even a second thought.
    Anonymous