becoming foster parents?

Well i live in IL. My husband and i have decided after a year to become foster parents. We have two dd and i was wondering what are some things dcfs looks at to see if we would be qualified to become foster parents? My main consern is where we live it is a two bedroom. And we make about 32,000 a year and i am a stay at home mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Adoption

• You can usually look up online the requirements for your state. I know there's usually an age requirement, and your house has to have enough room (I've been looking into it as well, but my husband isn't too keen on the idea - our son is still very young though).

A quick search gave me this:

http://www.state.il.us/dcfs/foster/index.shtml
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• You would need to have their own room... two kids to a room(same sex), i am not 100% sure, each state has its own laws... google it :).. and i think this is awesome your doing this.... i want to foster kids when im like 30, hubs not so hot on the idea...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• First of all you gonna need to have a bigger place. Foster children need to be in different bedrooms as your children. You could take in 2 females and they could share a room. You should really look into what changes you all would have to make before you go head first into it and have a little time to fix the things that would have to be fixed i know the laws in my state cause my hubby and I were in and out of foster homes him most of his life, me just my early teens.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• We are Foster Parents and I can tell you that everywhere has different rules. It's not possible for anyone to be able to tell you unless they are a foster parent in your state.

However, the common things they look at are how much room you have, how many kids you have, your health and any health issues that any of you may have, how much money you make and etc. You have to take classes where you learn about Foster Parenting and the things involved. You learn about issues that the children may have and how hard it can really be. During those classes you have tons of paperwork to fill out. You have financial papers to fill out, physicals to get, pet immunizations to get and etc. They also come to your house. You have to have safety things put in place before you can get your license.

It is not true that Foster Children have to be in a separate room as your own children...they can share if they are the same sex.
    Good Luck!
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• was a foster parent or many years, adopted 3 kids from that! Special needs kids were what I did most of my dealings with and loved every min. of it! as far as the rules and regs, you can look on line or call your local state office and they can tell you! good luck!! and God bless ya!
    kids_r_gr8

Answer by kids_r_gr8 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Every state is different, and even within states it can vary county to county worker to worker. Good luck to you. Looks like we won't qualify because we have Chihuahuas and can't find a vet willing to write a letter saying they are non-aggressive. Mind you, we have qualified for three prior homestudies for international adoption, and our dogs are GREAT with our kids. Go figure.
    momversuswild

Answer by momversuswild at 8:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My husband and I are foster parents from Mo. We rent a 2 bdrm house and I no longer work out the home. With our license we are only allowed 2 girls between the age 2-18. When we strated this process we had to fill out all kinds of paperwork. They came to our home and looked at where the child would be sleeping, where they would be eating, if the home was clean, if the house was safe for the child. I have a cat and they had me provide the pets shot records, just to make sure they were up to date. They did look at our employment and how much we made, but that is to make sure you can afford to have a child placed in your home. They want to make sure if will not put you in a bind. TO swome it feels as though it is a violation of privacy since they want to know so much about you, your family. But if you are serious about becoming foster parents check with your local DFS office and find out what you need to do.
    FstrMom2009

Answer by FstrMom2009 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2010