What's the healthiest way to lose 50 pounds?

I need to lose 50 pounds. My goal time limit is 6 months. I know I can get this done with the right system and encouragement. But what is the healthiest way to do it? I'll be going to the gym 3-4 times a week. I do have a mild heart condition and have had ACL surgery (which is why I've gained weight...) but these should not hinder my gym time too much.

I'm sure this is an over-asked question but I sure would appreciate some help, ladies :)

Thanks!
K

kalanthestepmom

Asked by kalanthestepmom at 10:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• start counting calories. It's the easiest way to get started.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I am running Iron man its working for the last 50 pounds.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Basically, diet and exercise. Watch what you eat- limit your fats, sugars, etc. Eat a modest meal but don't starve yourself. You have set a good goal. A healthy weight loss is about 2 lbs a week.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• basically you need to burn more calories then you take in. If you are going to the gym make an appointment or two with a personal trainer to learn some exercises that are good for you!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Thank ladies!!
    Lots of good tips and nothing I can't handle :)
    kalanthestepmom

Comment by kalanthestepmom (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Keep eating healthy well balanced, and lots of salads, with your high protein meals. Switch salads, and veggies alternating them, so it stays interesting to you.
    Just work out steady, but not too intense 24/7
    Always carry energy bars for the workout times, or trail mixes.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 11:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• A couple of things to remember.

Always warm up before you start to exercise...otherwise you can get injured and can't exercise when you heal. Stretch slowly - you can use arm cycles and treadmills for upper / lower body warmup.

Leave a day between exercise groups - if you work your torso on Monday, then work your legs on Tuesday to give your torso time to heal - exercise can cause tiny tears in the tissue (not a bad thing, just happens).

Better to vary the speed of things like treadmills - even a 2 minute burst of higher speed will speed up your metabolism and increase fat burning -

Try to do something every day, and sneak exercise in - like parking far away at the mall, taking the stairs - each one will count and increase your stamina.

Eat breakfast - and eggs (or high protein) is better than high carb like cold cereal. I notice that I don't get the mid morning munchies when I have poached eggs for breakfast.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 11:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Eat lots of fruit and veggies, lean meat etc. Do sit ups,push ups and walk around the neighborhood
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• The eggs for breakfast thing is def something I'm going to try!
    kalanthestepmom

Comment by kalanthestepmom (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Sep. 13, 2010