Any other suggestions on getting my son potty trained?

I've tried several rewards options, underwear, taking him every half hour. He is almost 4, and although my friends say it will happen, it is frustrating. Some days he gets it, others he doesn't care.

Godforus

Asked by Godforus at 12:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1. To much pressure to perform? Back off for a week or so, then start again in a low-key way.

2. Is he strong-willed? If so, it's possible he's using this as a "power control" measure. On the other hand, if he's very low-key and easy to get along with, there may be something else going on.

3. Is he feeling traumatized by something? A recent death? Tension in the home? If a child feels he's lost control of his environment, he may refuse to control his bodily functions. Ask your dr.

4. Does he pee but can't control his bowels? Our son had encopresis. Look up the symptoms on the web. It takes lots of time and patience, but we made it through and he learned to go when he needed to go.

Hope this helps.
    TeacherMom19

Answer by TeacherMom19 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Take him in for a medical exam...if he's not getting it at this age, there may be a physical reason why (like a small bladder, etc.) They do make some things that are often extra incentives for boys to go potty (like a target that you put in the toilet that lights up when he pees, etc.) Be patient, as frustrating as this may be...it'll happen.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 1:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i had this with my son he just wasn't getting it all the time it took a cousin of ours to tell him he can make bubbles in the potty and to go try and see and after that all he wanted to do is go on the potty and at bed time he had some dried cereal or popcorn and it helped him stay dry good luck it is very frustrating
    reckgeth2

Answer by reckgeth2 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I agree with teachermom19, my first son wasnt potty trained until right before he turned 4. Boys can take longer than girls sometimes too. I finally backed off then introduced a sticker chart. I had to get a bunch of stickers b/c he would "try" every 5 min and I would reward his effert. He would get 2 stickers when he actually went and 3 for #2.
    gavrilmom

Answer by gavrilmom at 4:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I feel you. My son was not interested, until his friend started using the potty. As soon as he saw that, his interest level spiked and now he wanted to be a "big boy" like his friend. Now, the boys are worse than women - they need to go to the bathroom at the same time! We still have "little leaks", but that is getting better, now that he has to clean himself up. He doesn't like that much. Sending you best wishes!
    GNMom88

Answer by GNMom88 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2008