'Striping of the membrane' when can you have this done?

I keep hearing that at 37 weeks or so you can get the 'streach and sweep', or called 'striping of the membrane' done if you ask your doctor?
Im not tired of being pregnant, my reason is that my whole family will be out of town my due date, and if this is possiable will help me maybe have the baby before they leave.
Is it safe to get this done at 37 weeks? I've had it done with my 1st, but near the end.
Also, whats stoping the 'striping of the membrane' from happening when you have sex? Can that heppen???
Whats your experiance with this? please help -Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am a major opposer of 'stripping the membranes" There is very little evidence it helps progress anything. There is a growing amount of evidence that it increases risk of infections. Unless there is a very specific reason even 'checking you" isn't necessary and can lead to increased infection risk. My advise as a nurse for 15+ yrs, don't do it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• It all depends on the doctor and if they will do that but usually around 37/38 weeks they will do it.
    frugalistamom2

Answer by frugalistamom2 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I had mine swept at 37 weeks but didnt go into labor until the following week. You also have to be dilated too for them to do it. Sex never ever worked for me to put me into labor but supposedly the semen has prostogladins in it that will help soften the cervix but I've heard you need A LOT of it. My experience was fine. It didnt hurt at all and I lost my mucous plug as soon as I got home from the doc. Good luck!
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 11:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• i had it done a day after my due date ,it hurt n i went into labor the next day honestly dnt know if it had anything to do w/it.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• That's not a good reason to start labor prematurely.  Your baby could end up with a lot of complications if you try to start labor before the baby's fully developed (which is different for every baby).  Let it cook in there a little longer and everyone will just have to make plans to see baby once he or she is ready to come.

JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Do you realize that your baby might be born prematurely just for the convenience of having family there? YOu would risk that?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:03 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• i personally wouldn't consider it "safe" until after the due date. and i personally wouldn't have it done until 42 weeks. :) you can find info by googling "cochrane collaboration" gl
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2010