losing milk supply??

i really feel like my milk supply is lowering. or drying up. My breasts no longer feel full. they are very soft and when I try to hand express nothing comes out. My LO will nurse and after a few minutes he starts fussing like nothing is coming out. I also try to pump and nothing comes out after he nurses. So I have been having to resort to giving him formula :( please dont bash it is something I do not want to do but do not want my baby to starve. He is only 2.5 weeks old and is already wanting 4 oz!! should I maybe try to exclusivly pump for a few days every 2 hours on the hour and see if this ups my milk supply?? I dont know what to do. I'm going to try and contact a lactation consultant tomorrow. I am scared. This happened with my first child after a month and I do not want that to happen again. I feel like a horrible mother if I have to give him formula.

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 11:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lactation consultant is your best bet. BUT formula feeding does not make you a horrible mother. You need to feed you child one way or another. Period.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Honey, formula feeding does not make you a bad mother. It is there for those who can't breast feed for whatever reason. You can still have that bonding time by holding your baby close while you feed him.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 11:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• hopefully the consultant helps. it's still early, you don't have to give up completely, and please don't feel bad for giving formula.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Well pumping after he nurses you may not get much, that's kind of normal if your milk has started to regulate. My breasts had also stopped feeling full at about that time also it doesn't mean your not making enough milk. The fact that he un lathces and screams would make me worry a little too but instead of giving him a bottle of formula after he nurses just try nursing him more often and for longer to up your supply. Also you need to make sure that you are eating enough and taking in enough liquids, you're feeding a baby with your body now isn't the time to try any diets to lose weight. If you still feel like your baby needs formula after you've tried drinking more and nursing more then try a supplemental nursing system for the baby so that he still stimulates production while he's getting formula and you should start taking fenugreek tablets and eating oatmeal to help up your supply. Try looking at websites like Kellymom.com
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 12:00 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Instead of pumping, put your baby to the breast. Pumping is a horrible indicator as to how much milk you have. I have breast fed three babies and could not pump out more than 1-2 oz on a lucky day. My baby now is 18 pounds at 6 months. Do meet with the lactation consultant and she will be able to easy your worries! However, if you do have to formula feed, don't feel guilty. What is important is that you are feeding your baby! =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Some women can't pump anything, and that is no indicator of your production. If you want to continue nursing, continue putting your baby to breast every time he's hungry. Make sure you are well hydrated and are getting enough nutrition to support breastfeeding. You might still want to call a lactation consultant, but in the meantime if after you nurse your baby he's still hungry, go ahead and give him a bottle. Feeding your baby, however that happens, is the important thing. Formula does not make you a bad mother. Also, you can switch breasts each time your baby realeases and that could help increase your production. Good luck!

Oh, and as your supply evens out you won't feel nearly as full as when your milk first came in, and that doesn't mean that there isn't any milk there, it just means you aren't engorged any more.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:12 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Every bottle of formula you give sends a message to your body to not produce milk. Stop the formula, put the baby to your breast, and just leave him there as long as he wants. He is just building up your supply. Formula will lower you supply. It is good for your breasts to feel soft. They should not feel hard, engorgement is normal at first but not supposed to continue. If you want to breastfeed, just stop the formula and nurse. As long as your baby has 6 wet/poopy diapers per day he is getting enough.

And pumping means nothing as far as supply goes.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• you can also try mothers milk tea. it is less harse then the fenagreek alone. I sayt hat b/c some babies(like mine) get an upset tummy from the fenagreek but the mothers milk tea is in a low enough dos. that wont upset babies belly. P.s. I have done EVERYTHING and still do not produce enough milk for my son and I have to use formula around once a day in afternoon, don't feel bad, you are doing everything for your child! good luck and congrats on new baby!!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 5:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I agree that some mothers can never pump anything. Babies have a strong sucking desire and will overfeed. A baby can have as much breastmilk as needed and then suck down a 4 oz bottle overfeeding.

Your breasts are supposed to feel soft. Pumping, feeling your breasts, baby fussing, or giving bottles are not ways to tell if your baby is getting enough. How you tell is if your baby is peeing, pooping, and gaining weight. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended. Artificial nipples cause all kinds of problems. If the baby has to have formula it can be fed by cup, dropper, spoon, or syringe. Have your baby's weight checked. Babies should gain at least 4 oz a week, a pound a month. Since you are concerned you can buy scales.  Good web site www.kellymom.com

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:01 PM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Nurse nurse nurse! It's all supply and demand. Also, up your fluid intake and eat oatmeal or oatmeal cookies. Works wonders!
    Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 13, 2010