my 7 year old has a bad habbit of lying what should i do?

she is having problems at school and her birth father believes in giving her stuff when she is good but i think bribbing is wrong

McConnell_mom

Asked by McConnell_mom at 12:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The trouble she gets in for lying should be much greater then what she would get for the act alone. Make it clear that we all mess up, but owning up to it makes us better people. Then practice what you preach, be the first to point out your own screw ups. As far as bribing gos, I'm with you. There are somethings you should just do, for those things a simple "thank you" or "great job sweetie" should do. If she should ever go above the call all on her own, it might be nice to give a surprise reward just to let her know good things can happen to good people. This will make sure she is not only acting right for a prize.
    Cris1128

Answer by Cris1128 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• NO Lying is my number 1 rule at my house. It is unacceptable.

My son is a talker and always gets in trouble for talking in school. He is 6 that what they do so it doesn't bother me if he brings a colored card home (used for behavior indicator). Children need to talk and I truly believe there are bigger things to try to fix in school than the talking issue...Anywho, back to you, I do not punish him for talking, if he lies about what happen, that is what he is punished for. As for being rewarded for doing what SHOULD be done. Eh, we all need to be noticed and praised for good works once in a while. All the time? Absolutely not. Our responsibilty is to work and provide for our children. Their job is to do their best in school.
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 3:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Don’t make it a moral issue. Make it a technical issue. The good kids are lying just like the bad kids. You broke the law. You broke the rules. These are your consequences. Read More Here:Why Kids Tell Lies And What To Do About It

Anonymous

• My childrens doctor said to stop giving the opportunity to lie. In other words, if you know that the child did something, don't ask if they did, just tell them that you know they did it and here's the punishment. We all want our children to be honest but it comes harder for some children.
    stephanie1076

Answer by stephanie1076 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2008