Does anyone feelof like we have such a mix of culture that we actually have no true identity of our own?

I think it's great that we have such a mix of culture and nationalities in our country, don't get me wrong. There's much to learn from such diversity, but I almost feel like I'm such a part of the melting-pot that I'm actually missing culture, if that makes sense. I'm part Irish and part English, but I've never lived there, neither has any of my parents or grandparents. Along the way, a lot of the culture and tradition has dwindled. People from different countries tend to have more culture than I think Americans do. Does anyone else feel this way? I'm not putting down Americans or anything, I love this country. I just can't help feeling that the friends of mine and people I've known who have lived in other countries are much more interesting, lol.

I guess this should go in P&C, not sure.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Pardon that feeloflike* mess in my title, lol!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Well unless you are an indian we all came over on a boat so do any of us know who we are?
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• No, not at all. As a community, that great mix is a blessing. It's up to each individual to find that culture in their past and educate themselves. Not everyone really cares, but for those of us who do, it's up to us to find that for ourselves. I almost think it's better this way. So many people take their culture for granted, when you have to reach out and find it you find more worth in it and are more likely to appreciate it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I like the mix, but being African American/Black I don't know anything about my roots besides slavery which is pretty sad, but my mom is white, German, Irish, so I know that much at least.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:09 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Having so much around gives us the chance to learn about other cultures. It is very interesting
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 12:12 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I think the idea that other places have a set in stone cultural identity is grossly exaggerated. You have to consider that each individual state is about the size of a country in most other parts of the world, with only a few exceptions. You would be better to compare the cultural identity of a given state to other places than try to unify the entire nation. Texas culture is very different from Vermont culture, but that has less to do with the origins of the people who live there than it does with who their neighbors are and the climate they are in. Not a lot of hurricane awareness in Vermont, and not much concern about dressing for frostbite in Texas.

But even then, within other countries (or states), there are various regions, religions, politics, even sports. We see a stereotype of a culture, but for those living in it, it's not nearly as cut and dried as a Miss Universe costume.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:12 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• It's probably because we really don't have our own identity. We all came from "over there" unless we are Native Americans. This is precisely why no one should say "we own" this Country.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:22 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• Sometimes...
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 12:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• I understand what you mean. I love living here too, so please take what I am about to write with an open mind...I have thought about this a lot and, unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that American culture has more to do with consuming, looking good, and having fun. So, in that sense, we have a very defined way of being and that may be why so many other countries despise us. But, lets face it, American culture lacks substance in a lot of ways. I grew up feeling like I was missing something in my life, so when I had my kids I decided to be active about researching my family tree (as well as my Hubby's) and instituted quite a few traditions and values related to our ancestry. It's amazing how this knowledge makes me feel more connected.
    NaturalMomma219

Answer by NaturalMomma219 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 13, 2010

• so when I had my kids I decided to be active about researching my family tree (as well as my Hubby's) and instituted quite a few traditions and values related to our ancestry. It's amazing how this knowledge makes me feel more connected. "

That's awesome, good for you! :)

I guess what I've noticed by observation is that Americans tend to be less creative, open-minded and educated about other cultures as well. For example, I have a friend from Belarus. He's visited so many places, is always reading about different perspectives on an array of topics, and he thrives on learning culture from others. He realizes so well how there is so much more than the part of the world where he came from. I have another friend from Colombia, and he's the same way. He's so accepting and sincerely interested on other with differences. I know a woman from Sicily and she is ALSO like that. I've known few Americas that were that way.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Sep. 13, 2010